See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Cooling Success

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this today since I was having issues with the factory P/S cooler and my radiator. I used the same style one that LS6427 did and mounted in the same area. I didn't need any extra hose since the NAPA cooler I purchased came with hose, worm clamps and tie downs. I used the supplied tie down on one side and a zip tie on the other to hold it in place and it ain't going anywhere. I did have a hard time finding the upper hose, none of the local auto stores carried it but could order it, I lucked out and had to drive a 35 mile round trip to a Napa that had it in stock, as well as the cooler. I got a discount on the setup which was cool; the NAPA ultra cooler was $27 and the hose was $18. I probably could have saved money ordering it online, but I was sick of the whole situation since it's been well over a year since this started and wanted to fix it on my day off. Took about 35-40 minutes total from start to clean up. I'm a big dude, the hardest part is getting my arms and hands up under the car and on the hose coming off the reservoir. I found it was easier to take the upper radiator hose off and then pull up and disconnect the lines. I also unbolted the ABS setup so I could get an extra inch of room to move around.

This was a good fix for me and we'll see over time how it holds up, the stock setup lasted 10 years.

Later
Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Had any evidence of cross migration between the two? I mean as far as PS in coolant and vice-versa?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Had any evidence of cross migration between the two? I mean as far as PS in coolant and vice-versa?
I did, it started with evidence of water or contamination in the P/S fluid. So I flushed the system and sure enough it came back right away. I also had signs of it in my radiator (water), I could smell it and could see it once the motor cooled and I was topping it off.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Edit- Thanks- lots of good info in here!

Well, Autozone was out of the PS coolers they had advertised. I ordered it and had it sent to my house, so it's on it's way. I just can't wait for Wednesday to get here so I get all this **** tore apart, flushed, and fixed.

Guys, please take a look at this thread when you get the chance and let me know what you think. I need some suggestions.

Last edited by dr_whigham; 04-26-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

i am trying to delete the stock power steering cooler , there are two lines going to it..i want to replace that hose with the solid rubber upper radiator hose, what do i do with the two lines, where do they go, or do i just put them together?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Well, I just did this last night, along with my water pump. Hey, 95 bucks from Advance with a lifetime warranty.... can't beat it.

I had a murder / suicide the night before last in my driveway. After a 2 1/2 hour stand-off spanning 4 parishes and 164 miles, my waterpump took it's own life, but not before murdering my serpentine belt. He was 134,000......

In other news-

New coolant hoses went on no problem. Getting the old ones off was a different story. Removed radiator and cut them off and flushed radiator with hose. Removed AC condenser.... more on that in a minute. (did water pump at this time) Took off both small PS lines and let hang.

Got under car and mock fitted PS cooler. Well, for some reason, my PS line (from rack, one with metal built onto it) was NOT long enough to reach the cooler. It was about 6 inches too short. WTF? Nobody mentioned that in any write-up. The one from the reservoir got tossed, as I used the supplied line that came with the cooler. I had to run to the store and get a 3/8" nippled fitting to splice together to the hose to make it work.

Long story short, after the fiasco of getting it to fit and using a lot of colorful language , it worked well. I opted to not cut the lip of the lower air dam. I see mostly interstate with this car and wasn't concerned with extra airflow.

I did see a lot of evidence of contamination, but not in the coolant. I had a bit of "gook" in my PS reservoir though, old coolant. Pump whine went away after a good flush too.

All in all, I'm happy, but wonder if my hose not reaching is an isolated incident or what?

Here's why I opted to remove the condenser and not reinstall.....

Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 7608
Size:  119.9 KB

I think I'm missing part of my compressor.....
Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Got under car and mock fitted PS cooler. Well, for some reason, my PS line (from rack, one with metal built onto it) was NOT long enough to reach the cooler. It was about 6 inches too short. WTF? Nobody mentioned that in any write-up. The one from the reservoir got tossed, as I used the supplied line that came with the cooler. I had to run to the store and get a 3/8" nippled fitting to splice together to the hose to make it work.
Thats weird....I had too much length. But I did have a factory power steering cooler. I had plenty. The only line I replaced was the one going back to the reservoir, just as preventative maintenance.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:26 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Hopefully I used the right line then.....

Well hell, it had to be. It was one of the two that came off the factory cooler, and it wasn't going to the reservoir, so.... Oh well. That's MY luck, as always.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Banned

Hopefully I used the right line then.....

Well hell, it had to be. It was one of the two that came off the factory cooler, and it wasn't going to the reservoir, so.... Oh well. That's MY luck, as always.
Well, you actually can't mess it up. Hook up one line to a port on the aftermarket cooler and hook the other line to the other port....can't mess up. It'll flow back to the reservoir no matter what.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I think I used the new hose that came with the cooler on one end and the original hose on the other end. Where did you mount yours? I mounted mine towards the driver side with the lines pointed towards the outside of the car. (dr whigham)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:57 AM
The Scammer Hammer

And that's EXACTLY how I did mine. I was going to take a picture of the shorter line and post here, but I was covered in coolant, grease, PS fluid, and frustration. I noticed the metal portion of the line was almost "pre-bent" to kinda wrap around the alternator. I was going to bend it to help, but I figured it best not to, and with my luck, it would have bent too much and crimped the damned thing in half.

I got Autozone's "Compressor Works/Power Steering Oil Cooler Part # 911009. Do you guys think it's too small? Its not a 4 rib like LS6427's. It's a 2. I just liked it cause it fit really well.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a two rib one from O'reilly's and it seems to be working ok. I'll take a pic of my setup sometime next week.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Mine seemed to be short, but I re-routed it for a direct line and mounted the cooler so the line going in was the line going to the rack and the longer hose from the kit was used on the other end closer to the front of the car. Hope that made sense
Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I appreciate the responses guys, and to the OP, I feel like an *******, as I've kinda taken over the thread. It's just a good thread in general though and a lot of people probably STILL have no idea about doing this mod. It's safety for your motor and PS pump, that's for sure.

One of these days, I'll track down a different and more efficient cooler, that tucks nicely and almost appears stock. For the time being though, this seems to be working well.

Thanks guys for all the guidance and help.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I appreciate the responses guys, and to the OP, I feel like an *******, as I've kinda taken over the thread. It's just a good thread in general though and a lot of people probably STILL have no idea about doing this mod. It's safety for your motor and PS pump, that's for sure.

One of these days, I'll track down a different and more efficient cooler, that tucks nicely and almost appears stock. For the time being though, this seems to be working well.

Thanks guys for all the guidance and help.
No worries. I was just hurt that you didn't choose the same rail cooler cooler I used. I thought it looks pretty stock? The hoses are also plenty long to reach it since its closer to the rack.

The rail cooler is still doing great. In the fall, I'll post a picture for its first birthday to show the wear and tear.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I actually tried to track it down, but couldn't, so I ordered this one (My local autozone had it as a special order only), then I found it, but was on a time constraint and had to use what I had.

I agree though, yours absolutely looks the best and cleanest, and I'll updrade one of these days.

1 yr birthday, LOL
Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best shots I could get without jacking the car up.

Name:  101_0598.jpg
Views: 7568
Size:  66.1 KB
Name:  101_0596.jpg
Views: 7451
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  101_0599.jpg
Views: 8597
Size:  53.6 KB
Name:  101_0600.jpg
Views: 7600
Size:  62.4 KB
Name:  101_0601.jpg
Views: 8932
Size:  48.2 KB
Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Pics of my handy work:

Cooler placement, the stock line is closest to the front of the car, stock line is closer to engine.

Name:  DSC01480.jpg
Views: 8063
Size:  112.6 KB

You can see the lines, kinda.

Name:  DSC01481.jpg
Views: 7482
Size:  122.0 KB
Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Nice - please post back with how things go with these coolers. If you get a chance, it would be great if you could take the temperature of the inlet and outlet pipes of the coolers after you park the car some time.

The one I installed has larger fins and is intended to be installed outside of air flow. I'm wondering how the transmission coolers with thinner fins do behind the air dam?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Braunbeck
Pics of my handy work:

Cooler placement, the stock line is closest to the front of the car, stock line is closer to engine.

You can see the lines, kinda.

That looks familiar.........

Cut a slot so ram air can get to it........I'm thinking the cooler is sitting behind the air dam in dead "almost" static air.

Last edited by LS6427; 05-09-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooling Success