General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ticking

I would like to know whats causes some ls1 to have a ticking noise?I see soo many people on this forum mention a ticking noise from their ls engine. is it rocker arm valve stem wear? or could it be when the engine warms ups there is enough expansion with the alum head to lessen the lifter preload?is it wear in the trunnion bearing?oil ?would a 7.425 push rod help ?what do yo think Jon Bauer?

Last edited by garygnu; 11-20-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your on the right course. I believe it has to do w heat. think about how many surfaces you are dealing with from cam lobe clear to actual valve seat

1.roller tip to cam lobe
5.roller tip needle bearings(four different surfaces if u think about it.)
6.plunger to lifter clearance
7.lifter cup to pushrod
8.pushrod to rocker cup
12.needle bearings in rocker trunion(again, 4 different surfaces/clearances once u think about it)
13. rocker arm to valve tip.
14. valve seat.

thats 14 total surfaces that aernt a definate measure. think about the slop that could occour in each surface, every trunion every, lifter ect.

for example, this is pure theory. if you had a motor that had a pushrod that rode on the cam lobe and that was the actual valve on the other end(crued, i know). that would only have 2 surfaces to the system, pushrod to lobe, and seat. it would be alot easier to figure out the measurement of the part needed. but in our case, we have mutiple clearances that we are trying to account for when choosing a pushrod.

solid lifers are an example of how we try to eliminate a variable in dimension.

I think it would be interesting to see the difference in a pushrods length at opperating temperature compared to room temp(when most pushrods lengths are measured).

i also think it would help if they sold pushrods in smaller increments than .025
Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not Advanced Tech. Moving to General Maintenance.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

in my case i swore it was valve train noise........checked everything over at least twice. Drivers side rear plug wire was loose just a bit and would arc when my engine shook. Did i ever feel like a dumbass