General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fire at fuel line connections

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire at fuel line connections

Was not sure what section to ask these questions, So feel free to move if I am wrong. Went out tonight to get 2001 T/A out and when I started it up it caught fire under the car close to driver side rear tire. After a slight panic attack and a badly burnt hand I was able to put it out with a fire ex. upon inspection it looks like I hade fuel leak on the plastic lines coming from the top of the tank. I have never smelled fuel or seen any sign of a leak. As far as damage is concerned it looks like it burned the wiring that goes to the fuel tank,lines and shock cover. I have only owned the car for a little over 2 months, I just got the car back from being painted and just installed new wheels. I was thinking about cutting the access hole to be able to get to the lines so i don't have to drop the tank, I was wondering about the wiring and the type of fuel line that I need to use? Can you buy the whole harness and the factory lines? Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion is that if you've had a fire back there, I would not be looking to do a cheapo access hole to fix it. I'd drop the tank, make sure EVERYTHING was looking ok and fix the damage. If it were just a dead pump, an access hole would be fine although I'd never do it myself. For safetys sake, drop or have the tank dropped by someone.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on how burnt up the wires are, you can chop and solder.

VERY suspect ont he fire.. I've never heard of this happening before..
Old 12-04-2010, 06:31 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed with all above. Normally a trap-door would be satisfactory but you've got to be 100% sure you discover and fix whatever caused that fire. There can be no room for error here.

I'm racking my brain trying to thing of what could cause a "fire" back there.

Glad you and the car are alright-take it easy and keep us informed...