Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Front Hub Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Hub Replacement

I've read through my Haynes repair manual and feel confident that I can get this hub replacement done without too much trouble, but there are a few things I wanted to ask about before I dove in.

The car is a 2000 Z28 Camaro. I ran into a curb and crushed the bearing and the tie rod.

Now, in the manual, it states that I will need to remove the brake system on the front wheel that I'm working on. This is fine. It also states that I don't need to disconnect the brake line, which I'm not if I can keep from having to. In the event that I DO, however, it says that I cannot bleed my brakes without a "T-1 or T-100 (CAMS) scan tool." due to my having traction control. Does anybody know about this? It sounds like a huge headache.

I would like to avoid headaches as the high is going to be 30*F and it's going to be windy.

The second thing that I wanted to ask was if there is anything I should know going in. Tips, tricks, etc. for re-installing the brakes or the hub or what have you.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You do not need to remove the hose to change the bearing.

And even if you did, you can bleed manually without the scanner as long as the master doesn't run dry. Even if it does, it can still be bled.

It gets down to 30* in AL?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

It's going to be a cold weekend in Hell. 32 and 30 are the highs for Sunday and Monday. Lows are 18 and 15. It's going to be windy, too.

Edit: Aptly named Hell because of the 100% humidity, 95-105*F late summer days.

I still don't understand anything about all of this brake stuff. What happens if the MC runs dry? What happens if I try to bleed the system without a tech 1 scanner?

The manual makes it seem like Armageddon's going to fall on my head if I try anything with the brake system.

Last edited by gta3uzi; 12-10-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously, you are over worried about this. If there is air in the ABS block, sometimes you need to cycle the valves using a scan tool.

But you won't have this problem becuase there is NO NEED to open the hydraulics in order to replace a wheel hub.

Bundle up.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

It really not that big of a deal to change the hub. Just take the brakes off like you're going to change the rotors, tie them back with a hanger or ziptie or something to hold them in place. Once you pull the rotor off just remove the 4 bolts on the back of the hub and it'll come out.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigj2717
It really not that big of a deal to change the hub. Just take the brakes off like you're going to change the rotors, tie them back with a hanger or ziptie or something to hold them in place. Once you pull the rotor off just remove the 4 bolts on the back of the hub and it'll come out.
Yeah it's no more than a 20 minute job.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You say you Crushed your bearing and Tie Rod? I would be concerned about your lower control arm, you may need to check it carefully. I remember when I was replaceing my bushings being amazed what a piece of **** these things are. To bust that bearing you must have hit that curb pretty good.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced the wheel hub in about 10 minutes with basic hand tools. I have faith in you. Definitely check the other parts while you are under there though.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Sounds like you have not done brakes before - so to set your expectations properly - it will probably take you an hour or two to complete.

The brake caliper can be hung from the spring (as mentioned above) either with a zip tie or coat hanger. This will eliminate the need to unhook the brake line. (GM actually recommends this.)

Pitfalls you should look out for:
- Be sure to unhook the electrical wires from the hub first so you don't forget them. Bad things will happen if you forget to do this and your 1-2 hour job will turn in to a several day job.
- The hub will be rusted to the spindle and will be hard to get off. After you remove the 4 bolts holding it on, tap (with a hammer) the outer edge of the spinning part of the hub. This will give you leverage and should pop it off.
- Make sure your pins on the brake caliper slide freely before you put it back on. Otherwise, they could bind and mess up your braking.
- You'll want to have a torque wrench before you do all this. The torque wrench is critical for getting the correct strain on the hub bolts, caliper bolts, and lug nuts. More so than other parts of the car, these are single points of failure and you don't want to loose a wheel, brake, etc. going down the road!

If you are going to do this kind of stuff more in the future, you should look to invest in the GM Factory Service Manual. (A 3 volume book published by the Helm Corporation.) They have 10X times more information than Haynes and are more specific on the procedures.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of the information. Luckily I have quite a few tools at my disposal. Also, I didn't know that they published the factory service manual, so thanks for that too.

My goal is to do it once and do it right. That is a goal that is much easier said than done.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by gta3uzi
Thanks for all of the information. Luckily I have quite a few tools at my disposal. Also, I didn't know that they published the factory service manual, so thanks for that too.

My goal is to do it once and do it right. That is a goal that is much easier said than done.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_...asp?Style=helm

They are horrible at marketing their product. They are also really good at protecting their copyrights... which makes it hard to find out about their products.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many others have said, it's a simple job, so don't worry, it's not overly complicated and won't take very long at all. Our cars aren't front wheel drive so there's no drive axle to worry about, just a matter of removing the caliper and bracket, rotor, and there she is, the wheel bearing. Should be done and driving down the road and back within the hour.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had done a brake caliper polishing job on mine a few years ago,
had 2 calipers off at a time over the winter months, with the brake line at the wheel going to a cup to catch dripping fluid. Never had a problem bleeding the system afterward, and that was reinstalling completely dry calipers. As long as you leave the cap on the master cylinder on, the system will not drain enough to make brake bleeding a problem, and just periodically look at the master cylinder and see if the fluid is going down significantly and if it is just top it off. If you're doing this job over a weekend or even a week, don't worry about having to disconnect a brake line, mine were disconnected for over a month along with disconnecting the 2 flex lines going to the rear axle when i swapped in all stainless steel brake lines. If you do take the brake line off the caliper biggest thing is keep the end clean, and use new crush washers when reinstalling the fitting to the caliper so go buy those first and make sure you have them beforehand.

if you have to bleed the brakes, it's very easy and i recommend getting earl's solo bleeds for all calipers, only cost $30 and worth it.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

I'll look into that, 1 FMF.

I just completed the job and the initial test went OK. It was just as easy as all of you said it was which, for comparison, was an order of magnitude easier than working on the 2000 Maxima's front end.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to bring up an old thread, but the last couple weeks or so As I am driving I hear a WAP WAP WAP type no ways coming from the front passenger side wheel, it sounds like a dryer cycle, should I replace just the front wheel bearing or the whole hub?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
sorry to bring up an old thread, but the last couple weeks or so As I am driving I hear a WAP WAP WAP type no ways coming from the front passenger side wheel, it sounds like a dryer cycle, should I replace just the front wheel bearing or the whole hub?
The hub and bearing come together as one piece. Bolts on with 4 bolts. It's a cakewalk.

Quick Reply: Front Hub Replacement