General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2 abnormal Engine sounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 abnormal Engine sounds

If I put the car in a high gear and step on it the engine makes a rattling sound in the lower RPM's, I am getting no engine codes.

Also sound number 2 is, I hear a light "whistling" sound when I increase throttle. I just recently put in a ported throttle body, not sure if that relates to the number 2 sound. Sense I put the new TB in the engine RPM likes to idle slightly above 1k and goes back down to 900 after a few seconds when I'm at a light. -just throwing that in there.

engine is a ls1 with about 110,000 miles on it. I have no clue when any previous maintenance has been done.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any issues with your PCV system? I've seen cracked PCV tubing create a whistling noise on the LS1s. Also, does it ever stop? My air pump has a nice little whistle but as we all know it cuts off after a couple minutes.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Does this happen to be the PCV? I found it on the passenger side near the middle of the engine and has a hose that goes to the TB. I can't really see any tears in actual tubing because its all covered with foam padding. But i circled a part that seems to be a tear?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Teching In

the whistling sounds like a supercharger It seems to be coming from the belts. But the belts arn't making any screeching sound at startup or anything like that, They also seem to look ok