General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help with brake light =(

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with brake light =(

Hey guys i have a problem with my brake light.. it doesnt come on at all.. wgen i pull the e brake all the way up nothing happens... im curious to know if any1 has a solution for this issue? thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Has it ever worked for you?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

fuse/relay OR bad bulb OR the connector is bad
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Has it ever worked for you?
well thats the way i bought it... and it just been bugging me and i wanna know what it is so i can fix it..
Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ska4life07
fuse/relay OR bad bulb OR the connector is bad
well i changed all the fuses in the car already so its not that... ill check the bulb and the connector... thanks for your help ill update with the progress =)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by silver-ss
well thats the way i bought it... and it just been bugging me and i wanna know what it is so i can fix it..
I thought so... (I assume you are talking about the "BRAKE" light on the instrument cluster? If so, the brake lights aren't the problem.)

If its the cluster light, I'll bet one of two things:
75% - A) Something is messed up at the switch at your brake lever. Someone may have shorted the connector, etc. to compensate for a bad switch. (When the switch goes bad, the BRAKE light is on all the time.)
25% - B) Someone covered the LED bulb on the instrument cluster or the LED is bad or has come de-soldered from the instrument cluster. Before you check this, you'll want to check the connector at your brake handle switch, make sure its getting power, and that your switch is working properly. (Closed with brake off and open with brake on.)
Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I thought so... (I assume you are talking about the "BRAKE" light on the instrument cluster? If so, the brake lights aren't the problem.)

If its the cluster light, I'll bet one of two things:
75% - A) Something is messed up at the switch at your brake lever. Someone may have shorted the connector, etc. to compensate for a bad switch. (When the switch goes bad, the BRAKE light is on all the time.)
25% - B) Someone covered the LED bulb on the instrument cluster or the LED is bad or has come de-soldered from the instrument cluster. Before you check this, you'll want to check the connector at your brake handle switch, make sure its getting power, and that your switch is working properly. (Closed with brake off and open with brake on.)
is kinda funny you said that... i bought the car kinda messed up but what was messed up was alot of lil things there were alot of shorts in the car.. diff fluid was leaking the previous owner treated it like ****.. so im not surprised at all that you said this. but i will check it out tomorrow ill take out the center console and see whats going on in there 20 bucks its a fryed wire or something
Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by silver-ss
is kinda funny you said that... i bought the car kinda messed up but what was messed up was alot of lil things there were alot of shorts in the car.. diff fluid was leaking the previous owner treated it like ****.. so im not surprised at all that you said this. but i will check it out tomorrow ill take out the center console and see whats going on in there 20 bucks its a fryed wire or something
Probably a shorted wire or deliberate sabotage. This is a very abnormal thing.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

why would someone deliberately sabotage a brake light? But people are stupid so I guess that answers my own question.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ska4life07
why would someone deliberately sabotage a brake light? But people are stupid so I guess that answers my own question.
The common problem is that the light is on all the time. Some people disable it by jumping the switch, rather than correcting the problem.