General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

67 cutlass ls1 swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 cutlass ls1 swap ?

i have a 67 cutlass and im looking at doing a ls swap. i have 330 in it right now and it is running fine i just want a little more out of my car without breaking the gas pump. i was gonna build a 455 but with the recent gas prices that seems like it wouldnt ge a good choice right now. i have been reading alot of blogs and different groups and i have a question? which is the best motor to go with and also where can i get it. if anyone has any suggestions i would be willing to listen than making a purchase mistake. thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking used a LQ9 has flattops and higher conpression than the LQ4 which is usually cheaper.

If you want aluminum LS1's are plentiful and cheap. LS2/3's are more $$ but you have better head choices and can get more cid out of them unless you sleeve an LS1....
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fatboybsb
i have a 67 cutlass and im looking at doing a ls swap. i have 330 in it right now and it is running fine i just want a little more out of my car without breaking the gas pump. i was gonna build a 455 but with the recent gas prices that seems like it wouldnt ge a good choice right now. i have been reading alot of blogs and different groups and i have a question? which is the best motor to go with and also where can i get it. if anyone has any suggestions i would be willing to listen than making a purchase mistake. thanks
Nothing wrong with building a 455, except your very limited with what heads to use.

My 71 olds is running a 455 and I have a 2000 trans am with an ls1 myself.

No one can help you unless you state what your plans are, what are you looking to do with the car? What kind of power do you want to make, etc
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fatboybsb
i have a question? which is the best motor to go with and also where can i get it.
The best engine is mine. You can't have it.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Default cutlass swap

what i really want to do is put a ls conversion motor and trans in my cutlass. i want to go fuel injected and get some good gas mileage with some power too. i seen alot of conversions that have worked out and i wanted to do the same. i don't know what motor and trans to go with so i was looking for some suggestions on how to prodceed. i just want to get a engine and trans to drop in and go. i am not gonna do tricks to the engine just cruise. thanks for your help guys.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Just get an ls1 then they can be had relatively cheaply, isn't going to be the easiest thong to install though.

You could also buy an older motor and use the fuel injection systems that mount where carbs normally do.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/ This post should be here. You'll get a lot more info from the guys in there. Sounds like a bitchin idea! Go for a LS1 since they're easier to get. Just make sure to upgrade to at least an LS6 intake but you'd be best off going with a FAST.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Default cutlass swap

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 67 cutlass ls1 swap ?