General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise coming from front left wheel well..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise coming from front left wheel well..

So whenever I am driving around 60 is when it's most noticeable, just a slight turn of the wheel to the left to stay in the lane on the highway causes a like hooting sound to come from the front left wheel well.

Doesn't make the sound when turning to the right, tires are 225/50/16 so I know they aren't rubbing.

Any ideas? I was thinking tie rod end maybe? Or wheel bearing?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i would say its time for new bearings, especially if it makes a constant sound when cruising, its going to be louder when turning because of more stress applies to that wheel, but by not hearing/seeing myself and by just what you say, i would conclude a bad bearing and replace the set.......make sure everything is tightened down good, and if so and still does it, i would pull them out and replace them
Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Undertow74
i would say its time for new bearings, especially if it makes a constant sound when cruising, its going to be louder when turning because of more stress applies to that wheel, but by not hearing/seeing myself and by just what you say, i would conclude a bad bearing and replace the set.......make sure everything is tightened down good, and if so and still does it, i would pull them out and replace them
Yea I can't hear the noise at all when driving straight or to the right but as soon as you turn the wheel left just a little bit you hear it going whoot whoot whoot, with the window up it is coming from the wheel well it seems.

I've replaced wheel bearings before on a vr4 I had so that's no biggie.

Thanks for the input. What's the best place to pick up wheel bearings for these cars? I'm new to ls cars, owned all imports before this and my 71 olds parts I can buy at oreillys lol
Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

well im sure eventually even going straight is going to make that noise, and then blow out haha.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

That's something I'm trying to avoid lol
Old 01-16-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know right, check your PM's