General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HVAC Temp control cable splice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HVAC Temp control cable splice

In case I need to replace the HVAC unit on my 98 TA, I am just wondering if anyone has ever done the install. Splicing the temp control cable looks tricky since it is a moving cable in a sheath rather than a simple electrical connection. How do you splice the cable from the donor part to the car's existing cable? I believe the other connections are plug and play. Any information on the install would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

You don't splice it. It's like a bike cable - you disconnect it and just hook it up to the new panel.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Oh. That does sound easy. I'll have to look at the back of the temp control section to see if I can figure out how to take it apart so that I can diconnect the existing cable. I hope that will do the trick. If the cable is tight after the replacement HVAC controls is installed, there might be a problem with the heater core door opening or the cable itself. I will give it a shot once I can get access to the car (it's stored at a friend's house). I will follow-up. Thanks for the info and assistance.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Its really strange - you should be able to find a thread on this site with pictures. There is a white plastic cover over the attachment that needs to be removed. If needed, the cable is adjusted under the passenger side door under the dash - but you should not need to do that. Adjustment should only be needed as the spring in the cable wears out. (That spring is under the cable cover at the vent door.)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah and it's WAY more complicated than cables in a sleeve! The cross section of the sleeve looks like an 8. Each cable has it's own tube. Just some interesting info. Like they said above, you can replace the whole cable.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of the info. I'm going to get a quick look at it this weekend.

Quick Reply: HVAC Temp control cable splice