General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine is Misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is Misfiring

I've got a 2002 Camaro Z28 with an LS1. The engine misfires bad. The engine as well as the whole car shakes because of it. Now I've changed the spark plugs and the wires and it still misfires. It runs a little smoother now, but I can still tell that the misfire is still present and the the engine shuts off when I rev it at high RPMs. I'm thinking that the ignition coil packs need to be replaced, but haven't done so yet since it will be expensive to replace all eight of them. Tell me your opinions. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If it were my car, I'd hook up a scanner and look at specific cylinder misfire data and DTCs, for starters. My next steps would depend on the results of that data.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, thats what I did. I took the car to the shop to get it diagnosed earlier today. Hopefully, they figure out whats wrong with it soon.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't surpise me if it was the O2 sensors. My car ran like hell and shook when I hit a puddle till they finally dried off.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

I have a feeling that it might be a cat converter sensor. Would a bad cat sensor cause all of this?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffalo
I have a feeling that it might be a cat converter sensor. Would a bad cat sensor cause all of this?
The "cat sensor" would be the rear O2 sensor(s), and this sensor has no bearing on how the engine runs. So to answer your question, no, a bad rear O2 sensor will not cause any of those issues. The only reason you would even know it's bad would be an SES light, but the engine would run the same as normal. It's the front O2 sensors that actually have an effect on engine behavior, and if one of those was bad you could have some noticeable driveability problems.

On the other hand, a bad/clogged cat(s) could cause the issues you're having. So if you are getting cat related codes in addition to the poor engine behavior you've mentioned above, I would suspect a possible bad cat(s).
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
On the other hand, a bad/clogged cat(s) could cause the issues you're having. So if you are getting cat related codes in addition to the poor engine behavior you've mentioned above, I would suspect a possible bad cat(s).
I'm thinking that a clogged cat is the problem. When I got it scanned for codes, it said that my cat sensor was not getting any voltage and now it doesn't throw that code anymore. The exhaust really stinks and it leaks out the tailpipe when it starts up. I took it to a shop to get it diagnosed, I should know what the problem is by tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:03 PM

Yep, most likely a cat issue, now you just need to cut it off, lol
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well, we were all wrong. I got the car fixed and it runs great now! This is what was wrong with it.

One broken little valve spring.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Buffalo
I've got a 2002 Camaro Z28 with an LS1. The engine misfires bad. The engine as well as the whole car shakes because of it. Now I've changed the spark plugs and the wires and it still misfires. It runs a little smoother now, but I can still tell that the misfire is still present and the the engine shuts off when I rev it at high RPMs. I'm thinking that the ignition coil packs need to be replaced, but haven't done so yet since it will be expensive to replace all eight of them. Tell me your opinions. Thanks.
Nice car man!!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 AM
Launching!

How much did they charge you to diagnose and replace the valve spring?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by elwood2
How much did they charge you to diagnose and replace the valve spring?
Total cost was $447. I would've done it myself, but I don't know enough about the car to take apart the top end and I needed to get it running. This car is my daily driver.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 AM
12 Second Club

I'm surprised you or anybody could'nt hear any rattling in your motor..... your lucky the broken valve did'nt cause major damage.

Quick Reply: Engine is Misfiring