General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Who reprograms odometers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my gauge cluster 6 months ago. Reads 86K... Hahaha! I'm closer to 160K.. But the new motor has 5-6K on it, trans is get'n swapped out soon and rear end is closer to 30K... Sooooo the BODY has 160K on it.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I here ya...............

But you can lay your eyes, pretty much on everything in my sig. Sure you can't see inside the motor, but my build/spec sheet and paid invoices should be enough. Plus a dyno graph and a ride should confirm its a 427ci......lol
And a ton of people know me here and locally in clubs.

But again...I bought this thing 13 years ago (in April) and said I'd keep it for a very long time. I say now, again, I'm keeping it for a long time. I'll have a new 441ci engine and brand new in-the-crate 4L80E tranny going in soon.

You'd be one lucky dude to buy this car......I know nobody who takes care of their car better. Why did I tell them different mileage 8 years ago......I really have no idea. I don't even remember how much it was, could be 25,000, could have just been 5,000. Maybe not even that....I really just don't remember. The point in my first post here was that its easy to do. Either way, its meaningless now and has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of my car. I'm the only person who truly knows how amazing my car is. Thats all that really matters.

When...IF I ever sell my car I'll offer both guage clusters with it and I'll simply tell the buyer that I really have no idea what the exact true mileage is. I can just guess...and that guess will be within 25,000 miles. For a car thats gonna be probably 20 yrs old with well over 250,000 miles when that happens and probably after having 3 built engines and tranny's through it......I guarantee you that that buyer will care less what the true mileage is.

BTW, my car is getting new wheel hub bearings all around, all new wiring harness with the new engine, all new hoses, new brake booster and master cylinder, all new hard lines for the tranny and brakes, steel braided brake lines, new wiring throughout including the TCS system, fuel pump wiring, battery cables, heater core, overflow tank, a/c condensor, and a bunch of other stuff.

Thats why its no longer a 1998 car, for real...........its gonna be a restored 2011......

I wasn't picking directly at your car but I wanted you to see where I was coming from on the whole trusting the seller part. My cars Odometer skipped a year cause I didn't care about the speedo when I swapped in the th400 and didn't buying the conversion kit so realistically my odometer is off as well. If I ever decide to sell it, it's being sold as a race car anyhow, not a collector item
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to real safe way to drop your odometer milage would be check carfax and see what the last recorded milage was and shoot for around there. If the guy above with 160k miles has 80k now if someone ever buys there going to not now because that is scetchy as a salvage title. Unless they are a moron and dont do carfax, which I guess some people don't. Anyone smart will check out this and many other things when buying not just what the odometer says because people reset them all the time
Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
The only way to real safe way to drop your odometer milage would be check carfax and see what the last recorded milage was and shoot for around there. If the guy above with 160k miles has 80k now if someone ever buys there going to not now because that is scetchy as a salvage title. Unless they are a moron and dont do carfax, which I guess some people don't. Anyone smart will check out this and many other things when buying not just what the odometer says because people reset them all the time
Carfax is 100% useless in ALOT of cases, not all cases, but alot of them....IF someone like me NEVER takes their car to a dealership or any other shop or place that records mileage that Carfax can get a hold of, it does not give an accurate report, not even close.

My cars mileage was recorded one time, it was in 1999 when my car was about 1 year old. I took it to the dealership. When a Carfax is done my mileage will read somewhere around 14,000 miles. I've also had body work ($5,000 worth) in 2001 and NOTHING shows up on that either....why...because if the body shop or insurance company doesn't report it, its not on Carfax. I recently (6 months ago) had a side-swipe in a parking lot, total insurance bill was $2,500. (plus I tossed in another $1,000 to have the entire car painted new). I'll have to see if that made it to Carfax, but I doubt it. If it did though, the mileage won't be there because I know he didn't write it down anywhere. But the accident could possibly be there if my insuarnce company reported it.

Carfax is another way people get fucked....because Carfax is terribly flawed.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Carfax is 100% useless in ALOT of cases, not all cases, but alot of them....IF someone like me NEVER takes their car to a dealership or any other shop or place that records mileage that Carfax can get a hold of, it does not give an accurate report, not even close.

My cars mileage was recorded one time, it was in 1999 when my car was about 1 year old. I took it to the dealership. When a Carfax is done my mileage will read somewhere around 14,000 miles. I've also had body work ($5,000 worth) in 2001 and NOTHING shows up on that either....why...because if the body shop or insurance company doesn't report it, its not on Carfax. I recently (6 months ago) had a side-swipe in a parking lot, total insurance bill was $2,500. (plus I tossed in another $1,000 to have the entire car painted new). I'll have to see if that made it to Carfax, but I doubt it. If it did though, the mileage won't be there because I know he didn't write it down anywhere. But the accident could possibly be there if my insuarnce company reported it.

Carfax is another way people get fucked....because Carfax is terribly flawed.

Agreed