General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Who reprograms odometers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Who reprograms odometers?

My oil pressure gauge in the stock gauge cluster is messed up I used someone elses and it worked fine. I was wondering if I bought a used one if there is someone out there who has the equipmet needed to put in the correct miles? I contacted several Chevrolet Dealers and they said they can't do it.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I boght a new guage cluster way back 2002 for my 1998. I was getting the Granitelli 200mph speedo kit. What I did was called a dealership I think in Phoenix that had them for a good price. They asked me what my mileage was.....not that I told them the truth....lol

But they simply put in the mileage I told them to. They sent it to Granitelli, then it was sent to me after the kit was installed. Thats the mileage that showed up on the guage.

And just an FYI.............there is only one place that mileage memory is stored......and that is in the guage cluster. The PCM has absolutely nothing to do with it and it does not store mileage in any way.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if only you were local............
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i would be very careful to avoid federal law violations. This is a major no-no!!!!!!!!!have a great day and god bless..........jim
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
I boght a new guage cluster way back 2002 for my 1998. I was getting the Granitelli 200mph speedo kit. What I did was called a dealership I think in Phoenix that had them for a good price. They asked me what my mileage was.....not that I told them the truth....lol

But they simply put in the mileage I told them to. They sent it to Granitelli, then it was sent to me after the kit was installed. Thats the mileage that showed up on the guage.

And just an FYI.............there is only one place that mileage memory is stored......and that is in the guage cluster. The PCM has absolutely nothing to do with it and it does not store mileage in any way.

SO, you are screwing over the next guy that buys your car by having a lower mileage put in the odometer....nice. Unless you plan on keeping the car forever but then putting a lower mileage is pointless.

OP, there are a couple places that can repair your cluster. One near me is called Specmo. They pretty much handle all that stuff for the detroit area and are really good at it. All you do is ship your old one to them, they actually verify that it is bad and if so, will ship you an exchange cluster but it is a couple hundred bucks if i remember correctly. Wouldn't be too much to ship it to them.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
SO, you are screwing over the next guy that buys your car by having a lower mileage put in the odometer....nice. Unless you plan on keeping the car forever but then putting a lower mileage is pointless.

Who cares. Not me. And if I ever do end up selling my car...it had a new engine, tranny, rear end, brakes all around, PCM, completely upgraded suspension, shocks, springs, and a bunch of other ****.

Do you really think anyone gives a **** about the mileage on MY car......only a moron would. Its been completely upgraded and changed. Its NOT a 1998 car anymore. Only my steel frame and wiring has true mileage. Paint is new too. Its not what a buyer would be buying my car for.........

But I'll probably never sell it. Its getting a new motor and tranny this year.....so the mileage really is meaningless. The person that would be interested in buying MY car....will not care at all about the mileage.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who cares. Not me. And if I ever do end up selling my car...it had a new engine, tranny, rear end, brakes all around, PCM, completely upgraded suspension, shocks, springs, and a bunch of other ****.

Do you really think anyone gives a **** about the mileage on MY car......only a moron would. Its been completely upgraded and changed. Its NOT a 1998 car anymore. Only my steel frame and wiring has true mileage. Paint is new too. Its not what a buyer would be buying my car for.........

But I'll probably never sell it. Its getting a new motor and tranny this year.....so the mileage really is meaningless. The person that would be interested in buying MY car....will not care at all about the mileage.

If that is the case then what would be the point in setting back the mileage anyways? Perhaps back then you weren't planning on rebuilding the entire car so setting back the mileage made sense to you......interesting.

I just don't see how you claim the car is completely rebuilt, that people won't care about mileage, but then you had the mileage set back...

Maybe I just get bitter when I hear that because I hear stories all the time of people setting back mileage on cars these days (which isn't hard at all) and then others get screwed over. Not trying to start a war, it's your car but it just doesn't make sense to set mileage back unless you plan on selling it eventually does it?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

If that is the case then what would be the point in setting back the mileage anyways? Perhaps back then you weren't planning on rebuilding the entire car so setting back the mileage made sense to you......interesting.

I just don't see how you claim the car is completely rebuilt, that people won't care about mileage, but then you had the mileage set back...

Maybe I just get bitter when I hear that because I hear stories all the time of people setting back mileage on cars these days (which isn't hard at all) and then others get screwed over. Not trying to start a war, it's your car but it just doesn't make sense to set mileage back unless you plan on selling it eventually does it?
I'm with you on this but likewise if someone were to buy the car regardless of actual mileage the odometer is king and they are getting what they paid for.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

It actually was a waste for me to do it back then, it did nothing, it hurt nothing and it solved nothing. And it was done almost a year after my 427ci and everything in my sig went in. They asked me what the mileage was and I think I said something around 25,000 less. I also still have my original cluster which shows something like 60,000 miles.......I've swapped them out a bunch of times when I went on very long road trips so I didn't put the miles on my 200mph speedo. I don't bother anymore because I can care less about putting miles on my car anymore. Miles mean nothing when you take care of a car and do proper preventative maintenance. Until the frame falls apart, the car is good as day one. I can put my 60,000 mile original back in if I want to and thats what the mileage will read. I actually planned on not driving my car much, only on weekends, but it didn't turn out that way, it's been my daily driver since the day I picked it up April 1998.

Miles don't mean anything to me, niether does the law about messing with miles. Its my car, I'll do what I please with it. Swap clusters, get a new one when this one breaks, whatever. People break laws when they lie about miles to a prospective buyer.....I haven't done that. My friend has a 2000 WS6 thats a drag car on a trailer, it hasen't had a cluster for a decade.....he still drives it on the street to car shows and some car meets with all legal tags.....who knows what his mileage is and its no business of the feds or anyone else. Its his car and he'll do as he pleases with it. And since there's no mileage memory stored anywhere in the car other than the cluster, one day IF he ever puts a cluster in there thats what a scan will read to someone. SO.....if someone wants to buy his drag car some day.....good luck with buying a race car and believing what the mileage might be. My friend doesn't keep track, he can care less. If he sells it some day and someone asks, he'll give them a best guess.

Tons and tons of people buy used clusters when they sell their car....thats the easiest way to roll back miles on 98-02 F-Body's. Unbolt it and bolt the used one in....20 minutes, done. My friend wanted mine because he had 160,000 miles on his and was going to sell his car....but I'm keeping my original one and said no. I think he got one at a junk yard or somewhere anyway. Its no mystery, its nothing new. When GM starts making PCM's store mileage, then that practice will end. It happens every day everywhere. The only way to track mileage with 100% certainty is when someone takes their car to the dealership all the time for repairs and service, the dealer records it, and then someone can go get those records to see if they match, if they want to buy that car.

Either way.......doesn't really matter to me what I do with my mileage. Its my car and I'm keeping it for a long time. When it starts falling apart and is just beyond worth keeping up anymore, I'll dump it. But thats at least 10 years away because the car is 100% perfect and every single thing works on it.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
I'm with you on this but likewise if someone were to buy the car regardless of actual mileage the odometer is king and they are getting what they paid for.
People that buy cars according to mileage are IDIOTS and have no clue what they're doing.

Mileage is absolutely no guage on how good a car is, NONE. A car needs to be checked inside and out regardless of the mileage.

I've been looking for a 2007-2008 Mercedes E63 AMG.

I went to look at one in Lake Worth at OffLeaseOnly.com.....it has low mileage and looked great. I drove it and it pulled to the right. No big deal that could mean nothing or something. I got back to the lot and asked the typical scumbag saleperson if it has ever been in an accident. She said not that they know of. But after I looked at the entire rear end paint from the rear doors back.....orange peal everywhere. Looking deeper into records...it has been rear-ended terribly. $9,000 worth of damage including bad frame damage.
So....low mileage, looked great......BUT....PILE-O-****
So if I went by mileage I'd be a typical idiot buyer.....which their are many of them all over the country.

Its on ebay and it has been for over 2 months...they'll never sell it until they take $10,000 off the price. And even then its not worth it. Its a black one, I think the price is at $40,990.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

i was thinking about that too if/when i ever redid the engine and trans just to keep track of the mileage a little easier lol
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the stock gauge sending unit out and run a mechanical autometer in its place. Cheaper and better alternative
Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Where can i find one of these gauge clusters?? LOL
Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

If I were to look into buying a car and find out the odometer has been changed, it's not the mileage difference that would bother me, its more the loss in trust I'd have for the seller.

"What else is this guy not telling me?"
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BrdOPry
Where can i find one of these gauge clusters?? LOL
They're everywhere.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

If I were to look into buying a car and find out the odometer has been changed, it's not the mileage difference that would bother me, its more the loss in trust I'd have for the seller.

"What else is this guy not telling me?"
I would never buy a car that I didn't have checked from bumper to bumper. Mileage is nowhere near the top of my priority list.

Case in point. I set up an appointment in Oregon for a seller of a Mercedes E63 AMG I was interested in....to take it to a Mercedes dealer to get checked out. Not some mechanic out of the yellow pages for $100 that checks the basics......It was gonna cost me $500 in labor for, in essence, having the car become a Certified Mercedes car.....they were gonna check everything from wiring to engine compression to oil analysis to interior to options functionality to tires to brakes to coolant quality....etc, etc. The mileage was not only 54,000, it was also out of the period where I could buy an extended warranty for $3,000. I trust a thorough, professional check of the car over mileage any day.
BUT.....the guy wouldn't except my more than generous offer........so it never happened last minute.

Mileage is meaningless. Especially since now a days....there are ways to roll back odometers where nobody can figure it out, not even the dealership or the manufacturer. So why bother making mileage an important item.....have the car checked before you buy it.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

I would never buy a car that I didn't have checked from bumper to bumper. Mileage is nowhere near the top of my priority list.

Case in point. I set up an appointment in Oregon for a seller of a Mercedes E63 AMG I was interested in....to take it to a Mercedes dealer to get checked out. Not some mechanic out of the yellow pages for $100 that checks the basics......It was gonna cost me $500 in labor for, in essence, having the car become a Certified Mercedes car.....they were gonna check everything from wiring to engine compression to oil analysis to interior to options functionality to tires to brakes to coolant quality....etc, etc. The mileage was not only 54,000, it was also out of the period where I could buy an extended warranty for $3,000. I trust a thorough, professional check of the car over mileage any day.
BUT.....the guy wouldn't except my more than generous offer........so it never happened last minute.

Mileage is meaningless. Especially since now a days....there are ways to roll back odometers where nobody can figure it out, not even the dealership or the manufacturer. So why bother making mileage an important item.....have the car checked before you buy it.

We aren't talking about stock vehicles you can pay a dealership to "certify". If I were buying your TA (assuming it was for sale) and read a post about you changing the info on your odometer, it's not about mileage, it becomes more about, are the mods you say are there really there.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

We aren't talking about stock vehicles you can pay a dealership to "certify". If I were buying your TA (assuming it was for sale) and read a post about you changing the info on your odometer, it's not about mileage, it becomes more about, are the mods you say are there really there.
I here ya...............

But you can lay your eyes, pretty much on everything in my sig. Sure you can't see inside the motor, but my build/spec sheet and paid invoices should be enough. Plus a dyno graph and a ride should confirm its a 427ci......lol
And a ton of people know me here and locally in clubs.

But again...I bought this thing 13 years ago (in April) and said I'd keep it for a very long time. I say now, again, I'm keeping it for a long time. I'll have a new 441ci engine and brand new in-the-crate 4L80E tranny going in soon.

You'd be one lucky dude to buy this car......I know nobody who takes care of their car better. Why did I tell them different mileage 8 years ago......I really have no idea. I don't even remember how much it was, could be 25,000, could have just been 5,000. Maybe not even that....I really just don't remember. The point in my first post here was that its easy to do. Either way, its meaningless now and has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of my car. I'm the only person who truly knows how amazing my car is. Thats all that really matters.

When...IF I ever sell my car I'll offer both guage clusters with it and I'll simply tell the buyer that I really have no idea what the exact true mileage is. I can just guess...and that guess will be within 25,000 miles. For a car thats gonna be probably 20 yrs old with well over 250,000 miles when that happens and probably after having 3 built engines and tranny's through it......I guarantee you that that buyer will care less what the true mileage is.

BTW, my car is getting new wheel hub bearings all around, all new wiring harness with the new engine, all new hoses, new brake booster and master cylinder, all new hard lines for the tranny and brakes, steel braided brake lines, new wiring throughout including the TCS system, fuel pump wiring, battery cables, heater core, overflow tank, a/c condensor, and a bunch of other stuff.

Thats why its no longer a 1998 car, for real...........its gonna be a restored 2011......

Last edited by LS6427; 01-26-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this has been bothering me, in your own words you told the company the wrong mileage. later in this thread you defend yourself with you will probably never sell your car and what a great car it is. im not saying that you will or nothing but there are people that deceive others with incorrect mileage.

and some people do care what it is along with condition. look at barrett jackson auctions cars sell for big bucks and yes mileage does matter, along with how the car was optioned with. and yes it is the govt and anybody who buys a car or sells them business .
Old 01-31-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
My oil pressure gauge in the stock gauge cluster is messed up I used someone elses and it worked fine. I was wondering if I bought a used one if there is someone out there who has the equipmet needed to put in the correct miles? I contacted several Chevrolet Dealers and they said they can't do it.

Thanks
no the dealer can not change mileage, but they should be able to send it out for repairs. the dealers i worked for, we would send them to an authorized company that did this. we used 2 that would do cluster exchanges or repairs but we had to give the mileage for the exchange , and yes it had to be correct. they also had other services, radio service or exchange they even did clock repair on older models. i would call your local dealer you are comfortable with and ask about having it serviced and if they cant help for some reason, call gm direct.