General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ok Techs, I need your help with my Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok Techs, I need your help with my Z28

I just bought a 2000 Z28 camaro. From what I can seethe following items have been bolted on; SLP cold air induction, SLP MAF, SLP TB, MDS wires.

EBCM appears to be malfunctioning as ABS INOP, BRAKE, ASC OFF lights come on intermittently, sometimes after it starts, and other times after I run it a bit.

Service engine soon light remains lit, when scanned O2 sensor code P0157 along with knock sensor code P0332 popped up.

Issue with Drivability:

Starting is fine, idling is fine, normal acceleration is ok. When I stab the pedal the power reduces, spuddering and spitting like an old highschool girlfriend. Driving along at 45 mph for instance while in OD, all is good till I want to when I step on it show off and haul *** for a block or so, however, I noticed that if I keep the revs up (like dropping into lower gear manually first) the hesitation frequency is reduced and more often than not gone.

Possible issues that I can think of:

MSD wire(s) bad triggering the knock sensor code

Bad plug(s)

How about the CSS?

Blown Head gasket, however, no white smoke and not consuming coolant I haven't checked for bubbles yet though I will tomorrow.

Any help at would be greatly appreciated. I read through many of the postings here prior to my post, solid answers would be appreciated though i know an exact answer is nearly impossible with out seeing it, especially the EBCM.
Attached Thumbnails Ok Techs, I need your help with my Z28-slp-1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the past the SLP MAF would cause issues on a stock tune
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM

could I simply unplug it to see if this clears out the hesitation without triggering something else to malfuntion that may also cause hesitation. I know it will throw a code, that im not worried about, just trying to isolate the issue.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bought a car with an SES light? Ugh... ok well, how many miles are on it to start? I'd pull off all the aftermarket crap if I were you to start (the lid can stay). Sounds like it needs a knock sensor, thats probably the stuttering, its pulling timing when its not supposed to. Either way I'd do full maintenance on it since you just bought it and sounds like its been beat on just from the pointless aftermarket parts installed on it already. Replace plugs, wires, coolant, fuel filter, clean the fuel system out, etc.

Last edited by FiredUpZ28; 01-25-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a bad catalytic converter. GM produced a bunch of different model cars around that time period that had defective cats that would clog up after awhile, which has the symptoms you described. They'll replace it for free if it's less than 10 years old.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM

ok, I was able to eliminate the spitting and sputtering. Plugs were not replaceed (ever @.070"-.075" each) I assumed that the plugs were in need of replacement along with wires. I planned on doing full service from diff to rad cap anyway. I was just not sure if there were other issues to before you guys were aware of before i sat and ordered my parts. Thanks for all of your help on the hesitation issues.