General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle Problems Please Help

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Idle Problems Please Help

Hey everyone, been having these problems for a while now. Tried a search but couldn't come up with anything. Need some advice so heres the run down. Also didn'y know where else to put this since it may be either tune or mechanical.

Car is a 2000 Camaro SS w/ 83k miles
FAST 92/92
SLP Lid w/ K&N Filter
243 heads
VRX4 Cam
A4 4L65E trans w/ 2400 stall
EGR, AIR, Cat delete
LT headers w/ ORY and SLP LM1 Cat-Bak

So heres the issue, when I start the car in the morning or if it hasnt been running for about 30 min or longer it will start up and then just die. Can't even feel it attempt to idle. Sometimes it will do this even at op temp. However if I press the gas in a little while i turn the key and back the RPMs down slowly with my foot to around 1000 or so i can let off and it will surge a little bit and then eventually find idle. But if I just take my foot off without slowly backing it down it will just die.

My other issue is after it does find idle if i put it into R or D it will idle fine for a second then start to stutter and then just die. If I give it gas right away or keep my foot on the gas and break it wont and after driving down the road for a few seconds its fine.

All of these conditions are very random. They happen pretty much everytime but the engine temp never seems to matter and also it can crank up and idle fine 3 out of 4 times right after I've turned it off but it can also do this whole thing again sometimes.

The problems began after my head/cam swap was done but before I was having a small surge when idling in P/N and in D/R. It would pounce around between 700-1000. Seemed to happen more often when I had the heater/AC on.

I recently had the car re-tuned to try and solve this because it was much worse than what I described previously and now that I have it's still there just a little more controlable. The tuner did all he could and spent about 6 hours on it but is willing to keep trying and get it right.I just have a feeling its more than just the tune...

Also, since the re-tune I took my tuners advice and replaced both O2 sensors to try and solve the problem and no luck. With it hooked up to the computer idling we could view the O2 sensors functioning perfectly then just suddenly stop working randomly then came back on. Happened a few times.

Any advice would be great guys. I just hate this because I love my car and love driving it and with this happening its actually more of a pain than a pleasure to drive it
Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Bump. Anyone?

Also, when I first start the car the volt meter is reading about a quarter over 13 and staying there most of the time.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

No DTCs
Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 PM

possible bad or dirty idle air control valve or timing is off after the head job.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe the maf, the tuner, or even a vaccuum leak.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Obviously...clean the MAF. But also clean the IAT sensor in the lid. I had some of those wierd little problems years ago when I was still stock. I remember after owning the car for almost 4 years someone told me to spray the **** out of the IAT sensor while I was cleaning the MAF...and it worked. Worth a try, it might be all dirty and nasty. Doesn't take much to cover one of those with dirt.

Could also be a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor.....they cause the engine to die suddenly at all temps, rpm's and speeds. Those things act wierd. And NO...you won't get a code until it totally fails.

Bad coolant temp sensors also cause some very wierd happenings like that......

But you can't rule out a failing PCM at that age. I had one fail. Pop the tops off and check all the pins, see if anything looks burnt.

Also, make sure your PCM-to-Engine ground wire is not coming loose.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Obviously...clean the MAF. But also clean the IAT sensor in the lid. I had some of those wierd little problems years ago when I was still stock. I remember after owning the car for almost 4 years someone told me to spray the **** out of the IAT sensor while I was cleaning the MAF...and it worked. Worth a try, it might be all dirty and nasty. Doesn't take much to cover one of those with dirt.

Could also be a failing Crank Shaft Position sensor.....they cause the engine to die suddenly at all temps, rpm's and speeds. Those things act wierd. And NO...you won't get a code until it totally fails.

Bad coolant temp sensors also cause some very wierd happenings like that......

But you can't rule out a failing PCM at that age. I had one fail. Pop the tops off and check all the pins, see if anything looks burnt.

Also, make sure your PCM-to-Engine ground wire is not coming loose.

My tuner and Vengeance checked the PCM and all that.

But thanks I'll give cleaning the MAF, IAC, and IAT a try and I hope it works. I don't think they've ever been cleaned and that K&N Filter has been on the car since I bought it and it had 60k miles then so I have NO IDEA how much crud could be built up on those things

Thanks again!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Payden,

Give me 48 hours with the car and we will sort it out for you.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Check your intake gaskets
Old 02-01-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I cleaned the MAF and IAC and let them dry then reinstalled plugged everything back up and double checked it all and now the car won't start.

It will turn over but just won't fire off. However it is kind of cold here today and I didnt give it any gas like I had to before just tried to see if it would fire up on its own and no luck...

Any ideas?

Also the IAC took some work to get out but just to make sure I re installed correctly does anyone have a pic of where the little O-Ring goes on it? Or could explain where it goes?

Search this Thread