General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Installed rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed rack and pinion

so I installed a new rack and pinion this weekend got an alignment and drove home 300 miles. came to a stop light and herd a squeeking sound coming from the engine bay. I popped the hood to see what it could be and it sounds like a belt squeeking but i replaced the belt when I did the h/c install. The squeel still happends when I give it gas. Could it be the power steering pump. The hoses are hooked up right and everything.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

highly dangerous, do at you're own risk!!! but try to stick a wrench on the belt tensioner and make the belt tighten up while it's running to see if it goes away or not. if it does a new tensioner is in order.

another trick, remove belts and get some cleaning solvent safe for rubber and wash the belts to remove greese and dirt. reinstall.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, if you can't remember the last time, or if you ever replaced the 2 belt tensioners and the 2 idler pulleys, it MAY be one or more of those. I just replaced mine which were the original factory ones. They didn't squeak or anything, but were making a different much quieter noise. Anyway, when I removed them I tested them by hand,they all clicked, clunked and basically felt like crap when spun. They were in terrible shape. I popped the seals on a couple. There was no grease left in them and the bearings were fairly loose in their cages.

So, check ALL those pulleys I listed. 2 for the main drive and 2 for the AC belt system. You may actually want to remove them and spin them by hand up close to your ear to get a proper reading of any noise they are making. Plug, you'll be able to feel any clunks and rattles in the pulley while holding and spinning it.