General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can you tell if an O2 sensor is bad with an OBD-II log? (log inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell if an O2 sensor is bad with an OBD-II log? (log inside)

I've been trying to figure out why i'm getting lower than average gas mileage on my car. Around 14-15MPG. I don't think i've ever hit over 190 miles per tank. No matter if it's in town or highway or lots of WOT or taking it easy.

It's an 02 WS6 with an SLP lid and magnaflow catback and A4 transmission at 78k miles.

I have some OBD-II O2 logs from a cruise i just took. Do you guys see anything abnormal?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Teching In

from trying to decipher the log it looks like the passenger side is sluggish , if you have alot of hard miles on them or they have more than 60k on them I would replace them both .

Last edited by stimpy; 02-10-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the sampling rate on that scanner? If you sample too slowly then you don't see all of the O2 switching and it will look slower than it really is. For example, with HPTuners you can't hardly log any other bits besides O2s and have them really pick up an accurate waveform.

I imagine since you have factory manifolds you didn't tune out the O2 error codes. How old are the sensors? If they are factory original you could consider changing them as part of PM.

There are about a million causes of poor gas mileage though. Make sure your tires are at 30psi cold. Also cold weather makes for poor mileage bc of longer times to warm to operating temp, longer to get to good oil temp, possible crappier blends of gasoline, etc.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Not sure on the sampling rate. There's not a lot of information about this scanner. It's a goLink GL1 that plugs into the iphone. A guesstimation is about 3-4 updates/sec.

The O2's are probably original with 78k on them. There are no 02 codes nor have there ever been any unless the previous owner had a scanner and cleared them.

Quick Reply: Can you tell if an O2 sensor is bad with an OBD-II log? (log inside)