General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Ideas???

I'm stationed on Guam, if you dont know where that is it's in the middle of the pacific. I'm worried about rusting with the air out here, does anybody have any idea's of how to prevent rust. When I say prevent rust I mean with the chassis. HURRY before my car turns into a rust bucket!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I would imagine anything like "Zero Rust" or one of the "POR" products would be able to help you out. Google them and get ready to read plenty of information on those products...
Old 02-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dlcowboys5
I'm stationed on Guam, if you dont know where that is it's in the middle of the pacific. I'm worried about rusting with the air out here, does anybody have any idea's of how to prevent rust. When I say prevent rust I mean with the chassis. HURRY before my car turns into a rust bucket!
Sup....I've been to Guam many times, I used to fly Boeing 747's in there full of military supplies. I'm a 747 pilot. Love that place............

But....not sure what its called, a GM dealer might know or maybe parts stores. My friend was stationed in Anchorage at Elmendorf AFB and he asked this question a couple years ago.

There is something that you can buy, I think from GM, that you put on the chassis yourself. Put the car on a lift and do it yourself.

He did say it covers everything amazingly well, but after he put it on everything he still had a feeling that there's no way to really cover every part and all the little knooks and crannys.

It might not be from GM....but he did find a do-it-yourself undercoating product.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gents going with POR chassis black.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

POR may be a good option. I believe that our cars were dipped in rust preventer at the factory, as is done for all cars today. (Maybe someone can confirm.) This protects us from rust inside the frame rails, etc. So, as long as any bare metal is covered - you should be fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of car do you have out in Guam? 4 years on Guam and the only thing rusting are my headers.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car sits just a little bit away from the Gulf of Alaska and I have not seen any of these problems with my 99 TA. Been in Kodiak AK for 2 years now too, but if you start to develop rust hit it with RustLoc (which I think it was called). I used it on one of the boatI was stationed on and it turns rust into a primer, stuff was awesome. That was on something that was on water 24/7 too. You would have to find it at a boat supply store of some sort though. You should be fine though, just spray the undercarrage off when you wash the car. Thats what I do bro.
Mike