General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ignition/starting problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition/starting problems!!

random problems with the ignition( doesnt ingage starter when trying to start) the security light has been on for a long while but haven't look for the info or wiring to find out why. thinking that it has something to do with the security system but again i cant pinpoint exactly when it does this Any suggestions would help out alot.

Last edited by BlkNight02; 02-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do think the security system can disable the ignition system,, Im at work now but I will check back on this post tonight, if someone has not chimed in I will look in my service manual and see what it says...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

its on a 02 camaro v-6 if it matters, a freind told me he had the same is with a 00 chevy malibu. if you keep cycleing the key, it would start. Iam thinking it is a ignition switch but not sure.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I had a similar problem. While at school one day the starter would not engage and the security light came on. If I remember correctly in the owners manual it says the car's security system disengages the starter if there is something on the key, water or dirt anything really. I wiped the key really good and the car immediately started. Never had the same problem again. Dont know if that helps but try wiping the gunk on your key.