General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How do I keep the front tires from rubbing the plastic part in the wheel well?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I keep the front tires from rubbing the plastic part in the wheel well?

I'm about to get some new tires and want to keep them from wearing out. The car was aligned but they still rub when the wheel is turned. Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

smaller tires and/or rims if you have rims 17" or under i dont see how they are rubbing unless mabe you have something like a 315 on the front. i have run as big as a 275 on the front with my 17" and never had a rubbing issue. what width are your rims? if they are 9.5 or smaller im interested on how they are rubbing
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Are your QA1's adjustable?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
Are your QA1's adjustable?
Yeah and its slammed. Just wondering if there are any techniques like the BFH for the plastic pieces. I had it aligned but it still seems to rub a bit.

EDIT: I can't see that raising it up would fix because its not rubbing the fender.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Undertow74
smaller tires and/or rims if you have rims 17" or under i dont see how they are rubbing unless mabe you have something like a 315 on the front. i have run as big as a 275 on the front with my 17" and never had a rubbing issue. what width are your rims? if they are 9.5 or smaller im interested on how they are rubbing
Yep 9.5/275.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BORN2LOSE
Yeah and its slammed. Just wondering if there are any techniques like the BFH for the plastic pieces. I had it aligned but it still seems to rub a bit.

EDIT: I can't see that raising it up would fix because its not rubbing the fender.
BFH vs Plastic? Plastic will win everytime
Sawzall vs Plastic?

As you lower your car the top of the wheel is going to lean in, try and raise it back up some and see if it helps any It may or may not be enough to solve your issues.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't look like stock wheels if that is your car in the avator...do you know the offset of the wheel?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
It doesn't look like stock wheels if that is your car in the avator...do you know the offset of the wheel?
Intro Vistas. Not sure of the offset. It doesn't say on the site either.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the condition of your control arm bushings - upper and lower? I had the same problem with my TA about 2 years ago and took a close look at my bushings to find they were shot - only 47K on the clock too. Replaced them with some MOOGs and brought the ride up a tad bit (no longer sagging) and havn't rubbed the fender liner since. I'm running the Eibach Pro Kit.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DAVE00
What is the condition of your control arm bushings - upper and lower? I had the same problem with my TA about 2 years ago and took a close look at my bushings to find they were shot - only 47K on the clock too. Replaced them with some MOOGs and brought the ride up a tad bit (no longer sagging) and havn't rubbed the fender liner since. I'm running the Eibach Pro Kit.
I'll have to check. My ride height looks just like yours.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

thats crazy that you are rubbing with 275's on a 9.5 rim while being lowered. what drop are your springs? im on stranos and droped 1.2 and had 275's and did not have a single issue with rubbing. something else seems to be the issue. like stated above mabe a bushing is bad, or you have some crazy negative camber causing the top of the tire to rub. unless your QA1's are adjusted all the way down and they are rubbing when you hit a bump because it not absorbing any of the shock....?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Mine is rubbing the same and I know for sure the bushings are bad. I am at stock ride height and they rub. I assume it does it when the suspension is in a bind because just turning it doesn't do it but i can see the fender wells are shiney from rubbing. I am running stock speedline ws6 wheels.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Launching!

hi,
you could always space out to gain clearance when turning...however, it appears that you have other issues and may need to check bushings/springs/shocks/wheel/tire size.
the aforementioned post are correct.......best of luck and stay safe......have a blessed week........captain jim
Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think with you being lowered/slammed the spring rates/shock rebound is not valved to accommodate how low you are unless your qa1's have stiffer springs/custom valved. but i had the same problem when i had my qa1 on my car i lowered it about 2inchs and from time to time as i drove it i would hear my tires rub the plastic and also experienced a bouncy effect from the front i raised it up an inch and no more rubbing or bouncy effect.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
i think with you being lowered/slammed the spring rates/shock rebound is not valved to accommodate how low you are unless your qa1's have stiffer springs/custom valved. but i had the same problem when i had my qa1 on my car i lowered it about 2inchs and from time to time as i drove it i would hear my tires rub the plastic and also experienced a bouncy effect from the front i raised it up an inch and no more rubbing or bouncy effect.
An inch is too much! Its ok as far boucing but if I turn my wheel sharply to either side it rubs. I really don't want to but it looks like i'll have to raise it up a little to save my new tires. Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
Wish I could drop my like yours. Nice car btw.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BORN2LOSE
An inch is too much! Its ok as far boucing but if I turn my wheel sharply to either side it rubs. I really don't want to but it looks like i'll have to raise it up a little to save my new tires. Thanks guys.
An inch is not too much it's a good start. As stated earlier I have an Eibach Pro Kit and it is a 1.3 drop in front and rear. I never had rubbing issues until my front upper and lower CA bushings went to ****. When I replaced them with new MOOG's the car handles much better and I have yet to rub the front tires on the inner liner. Get those bushings checked and replace them if they are shot.

Quick Reply: How do I keep the front tires from rubbing the plastic part in the wheel well?