General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Window regulator and glass removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Window regulator and glass removal

I've search all day on here and the internet in general and cannot find a 'how to' for removing the door window glass and regulator components. I've seen write ups on replacing the window motor, but none of those involve removing the actual glass.

My window guide roller is on the verge of snapping off and I want to remove those pieces so I can fix the window guide roller.

Does anyone have any advice on removing the glass and regulator???

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

dont know about the regulator.......but the glass is just 2 rivets at the bottom........drill those out and you can take out the glass
Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

I've been searching online all day. I’m attaching a few things to show what is wrong with my window…..

If you go to this website, there is a video linked of the operation of the window motor/regulator

http://shbox.com/1/window_regulator2.wmv

In the video, on the right hand side, there is a vertical silver track. A guide roller goes up and down within that track. If you look in the video, a lot of the window weight is supported by this track. The way this roller is fixed to the window regulator is via a small rivet type fastener that goes through the thin steel regulator. See below…

DSCN4187CASCSS.jpg?t=1298943389

This piece passes through this piece of metal which is the silver horizontal piece in the video that holds the actual window….

DSCN4186CASCSS.jpg?t=1298943389

As you can see, it is prone to failure over the years. They don’t make new ones from what I have found online and through various suppliers. The actual roller isn’t bad, it’s the means by which it is fastened to this steel regulator piece above. So I am stuck with a semi broken window and no idea how to repair it.

This shows how the horizontal piece is riveted to the glass...

DSCF7630_paint1.jpg?t=1298943448

The only idea I have come up with is to drill/tap the end of the window guide roller and use a small bolt and lock washer to fasten the roller. Add to that some fender washers on either side of this thin piece of metal to add some rigidity. Maybe some welding could take place.

That horizontal piece needs to removed and the rivets need to accomplish this...

window001.jpg?t=1298943494

window002.jpg?t=1298943494

So drilling the rivets out will remove the glass, then I guess I need to get the whole regulator and track pieces out somehow. I am hoping I don't need to remove the window motor to accomplish this.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

get a used piece from a junkyard?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

I think I will just remove what I have and have it welded quick by a friend. I'll tackle this over the weekend.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so any updates on this? i was wondering what size the rivets are?
im in the middle of having to do this too.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I just welded the broken part with the window in the car. I had to cut a small section of the inner door panel off to get at the roller/guide properly with the welder. Seems to be holding up well.

Be careful not to weld too long and melt the plastic roller/guide.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Ok thread bump.....just found that my guide roller on the window bracket popped out too. I'm guessing if i wanted to get this welded proper like also in the back of the roller I'd have to take out the glass with the bracket still on.

But wouldn't i also have to pull the regulator out too ? That's how its looking to me and i don't wanna have to mess with the regulator mount rivets as mine are still in good shape and not getting messed up.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Well i guess it all has too come out, just found a good write up on it on camaro5 forum. Well I'm gonna try a local glass shop that i heard has quite a few old farts there and see if they have a easier fix for this. Do still post any ideas i know you can tack weld it but also read of successful drill and tapping and using a bolt. I'm kicking around using JB Weld.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Teching In

The roller broke on my driver's side window a few weeks ago.
My solution is shown in the photo below.

I just purchased a new ball stud with threaded end and a NOS roller (Dorman # 74408) on Ebay from two different sellers. I could use the original roller but why not use the new roller. I also have a second ball stud and roller for the passenger side window when that breaks. The Dorman 74408 rollers have been discontinued. I has lucky to find two on Ebay.

1. Grind off about 1/16" from the ball on the new ball stud for clearance purposes.

2. Enlarge the hole in the window support with a 5/16" drill bit to install the new ball stud (10 mm ball, 5/16"-18 threads, overall length = 1.41") with 2 lock-type 5/16"-18 nuts. I might also use some lock-tite.

I plan to do this tomorrow.

Removing the original black roller from the original ball stud was not that easy. I used a heat gun, vice grips, and a ball joint tool (2-prong fork). The roller melted just a bit but still can be reused.
Attached Thumbnails Window regulator and glass removal-105-small-.jpg  

Last edited by DCL-1970; 11-16-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I installed my new "modified" ball stud and NOS roller. I used a 5/16" fender washer (trimmed on the right edge as shown in the photos) to add more contact area because the hole was damaged. A chunk of metal had broken off from the window bracket so the hole was basically a slot open at the bottom end. I also used lock-tite. The window now works great.
Attached Thumbnails Window regulator and glass removal-001-small-.jpg   Window regulator and glass removal-002-small-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BimRon (05-09-2021)
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Drill and tap

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I've been searching online all day. I’m attaching a few things to show what is wrong with my window…..

If you go to this website, there is a video linked of the operation of the window motor/regulator

http://shbox.com/1/window_regulator2.wmv

In the video, on the right hand side, there is a vertical silver track. A guide roller goes up and down within that track. If you look in the video, a lot of the window weight is supported by this track. The way this roller is fixed to the window regulator is via a small rivet type fastener that goes through the thin steel regulator. See below…

This piece passes through this piece of metal which is the silver horizontal piece in the video that holds the actual window….

As you can see, it is prone to failure over the years. They don’t make new ones from what I have found online and through various suppliers. The actual roller isn’t bad, it’s the means by which it is fastened to this steel regulator piece above. So I am stuck with a semi broken window and no idea how to repair it.

This shows how the horizontal piece is riveted to the glass...

The only idea I have come up with is to drill/tap the end of the window guide roller and use a small bolt and lock washer to fasten the roller. Add to that some fender washers on either side of this thin piece of metal to add some rigidity. Maybe some welding could take place.

That horizontal piece needs to removed and the rivets need to accomplish this...

So drilling the rivets out will remove the glass, then I guess I need to get the whole regulator and track pieces out somehow. I am hoping I don't need to remove the window motor to accomplish this.
I came across this excellent write up, and I did the drill and tap procedure on the roller. It works great, and saved me a lot of time by not having to remove the window or the regulator channel.
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
BimRon (05-09-2021)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guys, I came across this thread a little late, already pulled my damn regulator out and there is probably nothing wrong with it.

But I want to go with the drill and tap the stock roller path.

This is what I'm looking at right now, should I cut off the raised part or leave it as it is and just add double washers?

Name:  IMG_3225_zps4363fede.jpg
Views: 8127
Size:  92.8 KB
Old 12-06-2013, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

These windows are a pain in the ***, I have this same issue that I'll probably end up welding it on. I just have to find the motivation to go into the cold and tear it apart again...
Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got a local muffler shop friend to weld it, didn't want to put my faith in a screw and washers. Installed the new regulator as well, seems to be working fine now.

FYI you can fix this without a new regulator so don't be a fool like me and take yours out when this is the problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DCL-1970
I installed my new "modified" ball stud and NOS roller. I used a 5/16" fender washer (trimmed on the right edge as shown in the photos) to add more contact area because the hole was damaged. A chunk of metal had broken off from the window bracket so the hole was basically a slot open at the bottom end. I also used lock-tite. The window now works great.
just fixed my window today using this method. works great.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went the welded route too. It lasted for a about 18 months.

I think my regulator was a little tweaked so it put a lot of undo pressure in the roller.

Anyway I went to a salvage yard bought a window with the bottom channel and put in a new regulator while I was in there.
Attached Thumbnails Window regulator and glass removal-weld22.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Default Same issue

I'm having to replace the whole damn window because the part is discontinued, which is f'd up considering all the window issues for these cars. Im going to explore my selling options after this. I can't take these constant headaches anymore. I love the car but damn.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this hopefully will fix my situation. i have the same problem of how it would slide forward when i brake and slide back when i accelerate. but also it doesnt go up all the way. stops about a 1/4 inch before the top. my regulator is also missing lie 3 out of 4 bolts that hold it to the door. what a nightmare.

commented on this thread so i can find it in my recent comments in my profile.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

I just got a door from a junkyard and swapped the parts. I used nuts and bolts to put the window back on as using a rivet gun inside the door can be tricky. Do not over tighten them though!

Quick Reply: Window regulator and glass removal