General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Window regulator and glass removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thread bump! I'm installing New glass right now with the regulator in the door. So it's a lot of fun getting those little rollers to line up into the bottom of the window. One in now. 2 more to go.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by autogeek23
Thread bump! I'm installing New glass right now with the regulator in the door. So it's a lot of fun getting those little rollers to line up into the bottom of the window. One in now. 2 more to go.
I recently replaced mine, It can be alittle bit of a pain. Here is the easiest way IMO. With the regulator.. slide the UPPER-RIGHT roller in from the LEFT first... then.. you're going to notice the UPPER-LEFT is going to be a bit of a bitch.. what you need to do is slide the ENTIRE REGULATOR deep into the pocket of the door so ONLY the UPPER-RIGHT is on the roller during this, then extend the arm with the UPPER-LEFT roller BACK TOWARD YOU and toward the opening for the roller on the LEFT side of the window.. you'll notice it will still seem like there's not enough space, this is when you have to manuever the Left Vertical Roller Arm (it goes from the window to two bolts on the bottom of the left side of the door) around until there's just enough space for the UPPER LEFT roller to slide into the slot..once you get that in, the last one is the BOTTOM roller which will for the most part go in like cake... what you're REALLY going to have fun with is installing the rivets or bolts.. to successfully do it, you may need someone to hold the window into position until you align the regulator up with the holes intended.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you sir. that helped. now my only issue is even with the rivets in when I put the
window up and down I can see the rivets wiggle. then one fell out. if youre looking at the regulator its the top left rivet. they are 1/4 inch rivets with a hand riverter from harbor freight. the $20 one that's blue. actually a nice tool. im gonna try another one but if it fails im assuming I might need a plate cut and in place.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by autogeek23
thank you sir. that helped. now my only issue is even with the rivets in when I put the
window up and down I can see the rivets wiggle. then one fell out. if youre looking at the regulator its the top left rivet. they are 1/4 inch rivets with a hand riverter from harbor freight. the $20 one that's blue. actually a nice tool. im gonna try another one but if it fails im assuming I might need a plate cut and in place.
Make sure it really POPS in good and make sure that you have it pressed in as deep into the Window motor as possible. One of mine didnt go in all the way and it was loose and I drilled it out and with the window motor more secure and knowing it was really in the hole my second attempt was a success...

If it was the first rivet you installed because the regulator wasn't aligned this can be an issue but should beable to fix it. If it still doesn't work - show us a photo of the hole. I would probably just go with epoxy and a washer.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ill get pictures for you. the bottom left rivet location was loose so I just popped it out.
I bought the rivets from gm but they are different than the harbor freight ones so my riverter doesn't work with them. they have a threaded stud on one end. ill get pictures and the part number when I get home. probably post tomorrow since im off work. the 2 other rivets I installed are holding great. which are located to the right when looking at the the inside driver door.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

been following this thread. i have my drivers door all apart to remove the window regulator and motor. the motor was "fine" - i guess. it was what I called on "hyper-drive". it would roll down 2x faster than the passenger side. and it was "choppy" on the way down. when the window would reach the bottom, it acted like it kept wanting to go down more and you could watch the inside door skin "bulge". lots of stress.

anyway, looking at the inside of the door, my upper left rivet hole was a bit stretched. the others were fine. I was also missing the rubber block inside the door that the window rests on in the full down position.

i got a new rubber, placed it and operated the window (still with old regulator and motor) and the door still bulged.

anyway, due to cold temperatures and no time i have not reassembled.

I made a metal plate to go over all the holes, and i plan on filling out the stretched hole with JB weld and re-drilling a new hole.

I have the proper GM rivets and bought the proper river gun. tonight i plan on using the JB weld and letting it cure. tomorrow night i'll attempt reassembly. and re-grease all the tracks.

funny thing about the window motor and regulator i bought, there is no hook built into it to hang on the door. might be a PITA to get all my holes lines up. thank goodness I have teenage kids to help me out. lol

i'll post pics of my repairs.

BTW - this wasnt the first time this was repaired. there were metal shaving still in the door bottom and the motor was bolted to the regulator. - i'll show pics of that too.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bleepster
been following this thread. i have my drivers door all apart to remove the window regulator and motor. the motor was "fine" - i guess. it was what I called on "hyper-drive". it would roll down 2x faster than the passenger side. and it was "choppy" on the way down. when the window would reach the bottom, it acted like it kept wanting to go down more and you could watch the inside door skin "bulge". lots of stress.

anyway, looking at the inside of the door, my upper left rivet hole was a bit stretched. the others were fine. I was also missing the rubber block inside the door that the window rests on in the full down position.

i got a new rubber, placed it and operated the window (still with old regulator and motor) and the door still bulged.

anyway, due to cold temperatures and no time i have not reassembled.

I made a metal plate to go over all the holes, and i plan on filling out the stretched hole with JB weld and re-drilling a new hole.

I have the proper GM rivets and bought the proper river gun. tonight i plan on using the JB weld and letting it cure. tomorrow night i'll attempt reassembly. and re-grease all the tracks.

funny thing about the window motor and regulator i bought, there is no hook built into it to hang on the door. might be a PITA to get all my holes lines up. thank goodness I have teenage kids to help me out. lol

i'll post pics of my repairs.

BTW - this wasnt the first time this was repaired. there were metal shaving still in the door bottom and the motor was bolted to the regulator. - i'll show pics of that too.
I was pretty certain that the bulge at the bottom of the door is normal for F-Bodies. both of my windows do this.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It may be normal, not sure. I was pretty busy this weekend. I got all the repairs done and I will be mounting the regulator after work. hopefully tomorrow i can post pictures of my repair.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bleepster
I have the proper GM rivets and bought the proper river gun.

where'd you get the rivet gun?
I bought a hand riveter from harbor freight and it ruined 2 of my rivets
from gm.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought mine from Amazon. damn thing broke on me. worked for 2 rivets and now it wont grab any rivets. played for an hour with it and no luck. I think the jaws are stripped. and i cant return them because i have had the things for over 30 days

i WAS gonna go to harbor freight after work and pick up some other ones. is this the one you have from HF?

17-1/2 In Heavy Duty Hand Riveter Set With Collection Bottle

Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, picked up the above shown riveter from HF. it worked great. got it all back together and all works well. i need to adjust the rear view mirror applique and i am all set.

forgot to take pictures of the repair, but all i did was make a template using paper and punched out all the holes, then transferred that to a piece of sheet metal, and drilled out the holes needed.

i then put tape on the back side of the door covering the regulator holes and proceeded to fill all 4 holes with JB weld. once dried i sanded smoothed.

put my template back on and re-drilled my new holes. then JB epoxied fender washers over the holes.

once dried - slide the regulator/motor into the door and put the rollers in the proper channels and then riveted regulator to the door.

was a beeotch and i have a few slices on the hands to prove it, but finally got it done. hopefully never have to do that again.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Location: The Firebird spent most of it's live through the winters of Indiana. Now in D.C.

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
Well guys, I came across this thread a little late, already pulled my damn regulator out and there is probably nothing wrong with it.

But I want to go with the drill and tap the stock roller path.

This is what I'm looking at right now, should I cut off the raised part or leave it as it is and just add double washers?

Attachment 607783
I just drilled a hole in my roller stud like you did. Did you cut the bottom off flat, or use washers to level it? I'm going to try the washers.
EDITED:
Nevermind, I just seen your post about taking it into the repair shop to be welded. I may go with that, too.

Last edited by BimRon; 02-21-2022 at 07:20 PM. Reason: I just seen you answered this question in a later post.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am new to the club with a broken window as well. Roller fix or weld? Thanks!
Old 07-01-2022, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what is the best way to swap this part? I cannot find any real advice on glass removal or replacing this in the door. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Window regulator and glass removal