General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Groaning noise from rear suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Groaning noise from rear suspension...

Hopefully you guys might have some insight on this..

I have this wierd groaning sound when I go over bumps or uneven pavement. It sounds like it's coming from right behind the doors, and it's pretty loud.

It seems to do it worse when it's cold. I thought it was shocks, but I've replaced the rears with Koni 3rd gens towards the end of the summer, and have maybe 2k miles on them.

I just drove the car the other day for the first time in a few months, and the noise just struck me as being really loud.

It's not really a squeek or a rattle, it's a longer duration that that. Best way I can describe it is as kind of a groan.

I'm not even sure it's a suspension noise actually, but what else could it be? (besides REALLY annoying!)

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

common issue with rear end noises as such your experiencing mainly come from the rear lower control arm bushings getting sloppy or dried out. spraying a lot of wd40 on the bushings themselves may help the rubber but the best way to rectify is to replace or upgrade. and coincidentally i have a set of stock rlca's in great shape im looking to sell.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, that's a good suggestion.

I'll check that out next time I have some time to spend with the car. I've been wanting to do 1LE bushings out back, so maybe this is a good time to do that.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

i have this philosophy to always upgrade whenever something breaks...the car turns out awesome after a short period of time lol
Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamdLS1'00SS
i have this philosophy to always upgrade whenever something breaks...the car turns out awesome after a short period of time lol
I agree. Funny thing though, with this car I haven't had to replace much at all in the 3.5 years I've owned it. Upgrades have been coming very slowly, lol.