General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car cranks, but won't always fire on first key turn.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car cranks, but won't always fire on first key turn.

Got my car out of storage last night, and encountered a problem that happened maybe 4 times last summer. I'll turn the key and the car will crank, I turn the key back and crank again, and try it again and it usually will start on the third time. Any ideas as to what the most likely culprit would be?

From searching there were some suggestions of a fuel pump relay, the actual pump itself, possibly the crank position sensor. I'm not sure where to start really.

Last summer when it did it, it was like 3 days in a row where after it had been running and turned off and it would happen on restarts... same as last night. I had it running to warm the oil up to change it, then after I changed the oil and went to start it, I had to crank it 3 times.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Teching In

You might have some leaky injector(s).
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

To start with, turn your key on but dont crank to start. you should hear the pump priming. That would rule out a relay. Then I would check fuel pressure at fuel rail to make sure your getting proper fuel pressure. Could be a plugged up fuel filter. If you have good fueling then check for spark. That should get ya started.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by W02z283
You might have some leaky injector(s).
Check the fuel pressure regulator to. Bad coolant temp sensor can cause similar symptoms
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99 z
To start with, turn your key on but dont crank to start. you should hear the pump priming. That would rule out a relay. Then I would check fuel pressure at fuel rail to make sure your getting proper fuel pressure. Could be a plugged up fuel filter. If you have good fueling then check for spark. That should get ya started.

Good luck.
I keep telling myself to listen for the prime, but I am so used to it just starting, then when it randomly happens I can't remember if I heard it prime or not... I will definitely be listening. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by W02z283
Check the fuel pressure regulator to. Bad coolant temp sensor can cause similar symptoms
I was wondering if it might be related somehow to temp as well, seeing as it never does it on initial start up, just subsequent starts, maybe even a couple 2-3 hours after last being on.

I did notice some corrosion underneath the battery when I pulled the old one out, and put the new in. It was corroded on a line, that looks like it attaches to the coolant tank... I doubt the two are related at all... I just found it strange that a line runs underneath the battery. It didn't appear to damage that line yet.

Temp guage in the car reads normal as well. No lights or SES either.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prime the pump a couple of times by turning the key on for a few seconds without starting it, if it starts right up after doing that, your losing fuel pressure.

If that is the case, could be your pump
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well tonight it did it again. Started fine in the garage around 5:30, when I went to start it at 10 to go home, I had to turn the key three times. First two times I didn't hear the fuel pump prime, third I did and it fired. Think it is the pump or the relay or something else? Weird it always starts on the third time if it doesn't fire the first time, and it only acts up if it is the second time starting.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact that it cranks fine cold but has problems warm is a symptom of a bad FPR....
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your pump has alot of miles on it, might be time to swap it out, its easy if you cut the access hole. I would swap out the relay first and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
The fact that it cranks fine cold but has problems warm is a symptom of a bad FPR....
this ^ am sure its your fuel pressure regulator. my car did the same. gd luck.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Teching In

I would check for fuel pressure bleed down
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
this ^ am sure its your fuel pressure regulator. my car did the same. gd luck.
Did you just replace the fpr? Or did you go ahead and change the pump while you were in there?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Teching In

When it primes does the fuel pump sound weak,loud,normal?
and when its on is it noticable? Abnormal pump sounds indicate a fuel pump goong bad. Since it primes when it wants to i would try checking the relay first like you said. Check the wires too. If thats not the problem pressure test the fuel system. Start with key on engine off, at idle, 2500-3000 rpm and then turn off the vehicle do not disconnect the line leave it for atleast 10 minutes. Pressure should be the same it should not drop if it starts decreasing within that time that indicates a leak. I dont just dont know the specs for 98-02 fbodys my 95 specs were 40-45 koeo and i think it was about the same at idle i dont really remember :/. Oh and again if theres a leak it might be the fps in your case. If im wrong for not knowing my automotive fundementals lol
Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

No fuel pump sounds perfectly normal when it does prime. Last night I drove it around and it started first time every time at a few places I stopped at. I might just start with the cheapest/easiest things to replace... if it clears it up, great... if not, some cheap parts are replaced and rules some possibilities out for a shop if they look at it. My luck is, that it won't act up at the shop when I want it to.

Any help pinpointing where these certain parts are at? Crank position sensor, fuel pump relay?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Replace your ignition relay. Or, next time it doesn't start swap another relay into the ignition relay that doesn't have an effect on starting (A/C relay). That sounds like your problem.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had this EXACT same issue on my old LT1 car. Tested fuel pressure and with the pump primed it would show 40psi or whatever was normal, when you actually tried to start the car is when the pressure would drop to 21 or so. Put a new pump in and it was good to go.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try swapping the fan relay for the ignition relay
Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Replace the Fuel Pump relay before you try anything else...........
Old 03-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by O2Form
Replace the Fuel Pump relay before you try anything else...........
unplug the vacuum line that goes into the fuel pressure regulator. It should be right under the hood.. if you unplug it and gas comes out, replace the regulator..
Old 03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ccrook19
unplug the vacuum line that goes into the fuel pressure regulator. It should be right under the hood.. if you unplug it and gas comes out, replace the regulator..
No such thing dood........

Quick Reply: Car cranks, but won't always fire on first key turn.