General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaking Noise (Water pump?) and sounds like it's supercharged (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaking Noise (Water pump?) and sounds like it's supercharged (Video)

So I picked up my firebird not to long ago.
Bone stock M6 LS1 aside from a pro 5.0 shifter, muffler delete, and drilled & slotted rotors.

Ever since I got it, it has had a squeaking that sounds like birds chirping, it does it at idle and while driving although while driving it doesnt seem as bad, it seems to be a bit louder for the first few minutes after getting on it if you let it idle.

I thought it was the water pump. I bought one along with a new serp belt, but it doesn't leak a drop of coolant or anything, haven't installed anything yet - just want a second opinion before I do.

Also driving the car around, it sounds like it has a twin screw supercharger.. I tried to get it in the video.

one pulley shakes around as you can see in the video, the very bottom one. What is the technical name for that one? The idler pulley or the tensioner?

Thanks for any help, still very new to LS1's
Old 03-22-2011, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

im actually having the same squeak ( i belive cant really tell from video) i am 95% sure its the top tensioner pulley on the ac belt, when i spin it it squeks like a mfer, im not sure if its that one for you. but im pretty sure thats whats wrong on mine.

by the way where are you located?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

i'm in southeastern iowa.

and yeah it seems louder when under the car.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would GUESS tensioner as well.. But pull the belts and spin everything and anything other than a nice smooth feel should be the noise....
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it is earlier than 2000 I believe there is a TSB about an ubdated altenator bracket to eliminate the squeak
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM

under the waterpum there is a little hole a little smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser, if there is antifreeze in there, your waterpump is most likely bad.. i just changed mine 2 weeks ago. I akso changed the tentioner pully and no more squeak.

and just a word of advice, if you have been driving for a while with the waterpump if it is bad, check the seal around that spline that the pump goes in to.. caused a big oil leak from there and had to take off the whole pump again

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise (Water pump?) and sounds like it's supercharged (Video)