General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c problem..need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a/c problem..need advice

Since i've owned my car the a/c has never worked. it just blows hot air or whatever the outside air feels like basically. i removed my a/c relay b/c when i would turn the a/c on, there was a screetch and the motor would shut off. I'm pretty sure this means my compressor is locked up. so i can't take another summer of sweating my *** off everytime i drive somewhere. What parts do i need to do this thing right? also what do i need to look for when buying them used? I can't afford to buy everything new right now.

thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rggbly
Since i've owned my car the a/c has never worked. it just blows hot air or whatever the outside air feels like basically. i removed my a/c relay b/c when i would turn the a/c on, there was a screetch and the motor would shut off. I'm pretty sure this means my compressor is locked up. so i can't take another summer of sweating my *** off everytime i drive somewhere. What parts do i need to do this thing right? also what do i need to look for when buying them used? I can't afford to buy everything new right now.

thanks
Go get two cans of 134r (with oil in it) and a small 6oz can of oil. Put it in and see if that gets the compressor working. Its worth a try.

If not....I recommend www.rockauto.com for a remanned compressor. Just replace that. Then go to an a/c shop and have them vacuum the system the system down and recharge it. Shops around here charge like $45.00 for that. Or, get then to vacuum it doan, then you go buy two cans of 134r with a can of oil and recharge it.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Launching!

I mean what is the likelihood of my compressor actually unlocking? should i try to oil it first, put the relay back in, then see if it will work when i turn the a/c on before i spend all the money to have it vacuumed and recharged? and if it needs oil wouldn't that imply that there is a leak?

what would be the parts that i would need to replace for a locked up compressor?
-compressor
-dryer
-orphis tube (not really sure what this is but i'm pretty sure it has to be replaced)

what else?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Also when you talk about vacumming the system...how well does that work for getting trash/debris out? If I were to get a new compressor does this take care of what the old one might have run through the system?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching!

anybody?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Teching In

If you go to advance or autozone you can rent the vacuum pump and the guages i think. You can also buy a can of a/c flush that they have but you will have to blow the lines, condensor, evaporator with clean compressed air to get it all out before you seal up the system. I personally wouldn't buy anything used. I think i spent around $400 for a dryer, reman compressor and orifice tube, and a oring kit. Also if your compressor is locked up there is no hope that it will loosen up. This isn't really that hard of a job. I had it done start to finish in about 4 hrs but i had my system charged by someone before i knew that you could rent the pump and gauges. You may not even need the gauges because i think there is a sticker under the hood that tells you how much r134 the system will hold. You also need to add I believe 8 oz of PAC150 oil but you better do a search on here to verify that i am right about that.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Launching!

So from what i'm reading it sounds like if i vacuum the system and blow it out...all ill have to do is replace the a/c compressor and recharge the system correct? and what i need to vacuum the system can be rented from the parts store.

where does this oil go in at? i was under the impression that it was for the compressor but i may be wrong...as u can tell i'm not a big a/c guy but i need to learn
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When I had to recharge the system on my 01ss (because I took off a/c and decided to put it back) I used my vacume pump with guages to suck all the moisture out of the system and create a vacume in the lines. Then I recharged the system with the refrigerant. I cant even remember how much I used or how much oil but if you do a search or google you can find answers.
On my beater car (civic) my compressor had a hole in it last summer. All I did was get a used one from junkyard and install it. Then hooked up the evac pump and did everything just like on the camaro.
I already have the tools because I was in the trade for a while but im guessing you probly dont. It might be better for you to just take it somewhere.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Teching In

You also need the orifice tube, orings and definitely a new dryer. There is a plug in the side of the compressor that unscrews and you can add the oil. Most new or reman compressors come pre filled but you still should pour it out to make sure it is the right amount. Since you don't know much about it you should either spend a couple hrs searching on here or take it some where to get charged. It shouldn't cost much if you do all of the rest of the work.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Launching!

well i know how to recharge the system. and i'm pretty handy...i mean i do everthing myself on my cars and my buddies and whatnot. I just need to learn what i need then i can figure out how to use it haha. Im not big on taking my vehicle to a shop. What kind of things can make a compressor lock up? and when it does...does it contaminate the rest of the system with metal or things like that? What would be in the orifice tube and dryer? or is the vacuum just to get moisture when changing compressors?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Launching!

bumpp
Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd first take a look at the orifice tube to get an idea of what's been going on in the system. If the orifice is heavily contaminated with debris you'll need to flush the system in some way to ensure that you don't run into the same problems. Regardless of how handy you are I'd recommend taking the car to a shop with an A/C machine like the ACR1000 in order to get all of the debris out. Shouldn't cost more than 50 dollars and it will ensure the life and wellness of the new compressor. To give you an idea of the service the machine flushes oil throughout the system and into a filter for 15 minutes one way then 15 minutes another. That's something you simply cannot duplicate in your driveway. The only reason I'm recommending this is I like to see several years of compressor service and not months.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Look on here, there was me and another guy going at it for a while. But, it covers everything you will need to know and do.

There will be quite a few steps, but it's not that badly difficult.

I just got done redoing a complete AC system in a new Ram. . . The crappiness of that will be tough to beat.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Ive got the same problem as rggbly-except my car doesn't make any screeching or other weird noises. Ive got an '00 TA and have had it since March 4th. Its got black leather and its getting hot as hell here, and just like rggbly, I'm done sweating it already.

The previous owner told me the AC has a leak. He says it will hold a charge for a little while. A local shop told me I need a new compressor. (and then wanted $875 for a new one) I was thinking of getting a part off ebay-has anyone had any problems with getting parts like that off ebay?

I'm very new to repairs, and don't know much. I got a can of "AC Stop Leak" and thought I'd try that before shelling out $300-$500 to have the compressor replaced and the system vac'ed etc.

Has anyone had any success with that product? Also, I'm not sure where the AC recharge hose is-Ive looked online but haven't been able to find a diagram or picture or anything, and none of my buddies are tech savvy enough to know either. Any help would be most appreciated
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

If you have used stopped leak in your system you will need pretty much a complete AC system overhaul.

Ask before you try. . . .
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I'd first take a look at the orifice tube to get an idea of what's been going on in the system. If the orifice is heavily contaminated with debris you'll need to flush the system in some way to ensure that you don't run into the same problems. Regardless of how handy you are I'd recommend taking the car to a shop with an A/C machine like the ACR1000 in order to get all of the debris out. Shouldn't cost more than 50 dollars and it will ensure the life and wellness of the new compressor. To give you an idea of the service the machine flushes oil throughout the system and into a filter for 15 minutes one way then 15 minutes another. That's something you simply cannot duplicate in your driveway. The only reason I'm recommending this is I like to see several years of compressor service and not months.
Thanks man that was very helpful. I will be visiting an a/c shop first chance I get.