General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Chirping??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
just fixed my chirp on accident. i needed to replace the alternator and when i did magically the chirp was gone. would have never thought that the alt would make those noises. i thought it was a peske belt that wouldn't quiet down. so before you go replacing pulleys on a whim check your alternator out and see if that might be it.
I just had the same issue. Mine was from the alternator as well. The alternator finally got enough wear in it that it allowed the main shaft to move rearward just enough to allow the pulley to slightly rub. As it warmed up, it expanded and moved away. We're talking thousands of an inch here, but it was enough to cause a horrible chirp.

Of course, rebuilding these alternators is near impossible anymore. When did we become such a disposable society??
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this link. I can't confirm this is the source of your chirping, but noisy pulleys tend to quiet down after warm up. I regreased my pulleys 3-4 years ago and haven't had any noise since then. New pulleys typically don't have much grease in them either so save yourself some $ and try this first...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ease-pics.html
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you's have the alternator relocation kit or do ya'll have ur alternators hanging at the bottom?

Last edited by BoricuaHec01; 04-21-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Hmmmmm maybe I'll try a gatorback belt...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Took the belt off, no squeak or chirp. Turned the alternator by hand and chirp chirp chirp. Will have to change it I guess..
Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a PA Performance alternator. Very nice unit. Just stay away from any of their units...or ANY unit...that is rated a lot higher than stock. You will have to upgrade your electrical system to handle it.

Oh yea...adding an additional charge wire is NOT an upgrade. That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Quick Reply: Chirping??