General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car stalled on itself and wont start. help please read all!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stalled on itself and wont start. help please read all!!!

98 v6 firebird. i havent drove it for weeks, maybe 2-3 weeks maybe longer. drove it about 8 miles and came back to the house to change the oil in it. jacked up the passenger side so i could slide under there to do it. noticed the passenger knock sensor was unplugged so i plugged it in, drained the oil, put the filter on, all the stuff you do when youre changin oil okay, done that a million times. put new oil in, 10w30 like the book says, 4.5 quarts like the book says. start it up to check for leaks, nothing, running fine, i go to get all my tools from everywhere to lower the car down on the passenger side and the car just shuts off like the key was turned off. no trying to keep going like you are stalling. it just stopped.
what could be the culprit. my thought was that it sucked some water through the intake because it started raining and the hood was up. the first day i went to buy it, one of the coil packs went out on it on the original owner, so idk if that would be an issue. when i was driving it, the car was making a sound like a hiss, i thought it was just the **** wearing off the brakes but idk. whenever i hit the brakes it would hiss loud enough to hear it with the windows down. maybe it could be a vacumm leak in the brake booster? i'll try starting it tommorrow and checkin around everything, just throw me some ideas of what could be my issue
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i turn the key to on, the check gauges and service engine soon light are on. when i crank the engine, it cranks but it isn't really smelling like gas, hopefully its not raining tomorrow so i can check some things out. i'll see if i can find someone with a scan tool to scan it and see if there are any codes. anyone have any ideas, idk if those lights go off or not, but i know they all come on when it first starts up. when i started it up to take the drive and when i was checking for leaks, it started right up really good. idk if i messed something up just having it jacked on the one side or not, i don't think it would make a difference.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Try unplugging the sensor that you plugged back in. Maybe that's the culprit?