General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pulsing/Flickering Int/Ext Lights.. I Have Replaced My Alt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lternator.html

read it n weep
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
^^^ panty waist......i can do a alt in my sleep....drunk.....and a bear strapped to my back.....in 5 mins
haha yeah well this is the first time I've done it on this car lol
Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed Mine

I'm not sure if anybody is still checking on the thread but it sure helped me. I didn't see any definite answers so let me tell you mine. I had all the same issues with volt gauge dancing and lights flickering. Our alternators are pieces of crap. I did in fact go to Advanced and get a truck alternator. From a 2003 Silverado, Avalanche, any GM truck. It is the 105amp just like ours so I didn't have to upgrade any wiring. It worked. It worked better than I expected. No more flickering lights and the volt gauge is a thing of beauty. My 02' WS6 Purrs like a kitten now and I have this thread to thank. But still many people were asking questions about the truck alt to get. It's pretty much any GM truck alt from the Early 2000's. Just go to Autozone, Advanced, etc and search for the alt for 2003 Silverado with the V8. It's Advanced Auto Parts part #P8247. Those alternators are designed sooo much better on the inside and work like a dream. Plus a lifetime warranty. The only difference is you have to take the rear alternator bolt bracket out and the 4pin connector is slightly moved but actually in a better position. Go get the better built alternator and your problems will be solved.

Last edited by Jamie Cochrane; 09-01-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Has anyone used A truck alt with a Procharger. Will everything be kosher with the lack of one bolt?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 AM
Teching In

i know this is an old thread but did you guys go with the truck alt from the 5.3 or 6.0 and is it a 12 o clock connector position??? tryin to fix my flickering
Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
so i figured the alternator was going on it (from sitting).
Alternators don't go bad from sitting, unless they are sitting in a very corrosive environment, like a puddle. I still have the original alternator from my seldom driven '98, it still charges fine after 14 years. It is never exposed to moisture or the elements though. I did have a weird charing issue on the '98 once though, but it wasn't the alternator....it turned out to be a ground wire coming off the block that crossed the top of the alternator. Under certain conditions, the engine would move in such a way that this ground wire would come too close to the alternator case, rubbing the top of it and somehow disrupt charging. I insulated the ground wire in that area, and moved it as much as I could, which solved that problem.

Originally Posted by bboyferal
These problems don't necessarily have anything to do with alternators, guys...
Agreed. The fact that you were able to swap back and forth with a known good alternator onto a "problem" car and the issue was still present is proof of this.

I don't think there is just one issue going on to explain all of these examples. Some people are using **** quality rebuilds, and I think that is their issue. I've had problems with this myself in the past, with non-LS1 cars. Other people may have wiring/grounding issues that need to be dealt with. Some may also be seeing negative effects from aftermarket pullies.

The truck alternator may be a superior design but that doesn't mean that it's the real root of the issue here, for the simple fact that not all of these cars have this problem. If the factory design was incapable of proper operation in a stock application, then every one of these cars would have this issue.....and they don't. Swapping in a higher amp truck unit might cover up some other issue for some people, but it's not getting at the root of the problem, because if you have a stock electrical system then a properly functioning (meaning new or fully rebuilt with good parts) stock alternator should not and will not cause these pulsing issues.

My '02 car had some mild pusling of all the lights (interior and exterior) around ~75k miles. I replaced the original alternator with one that I bought directly from GM, and the problem was 100% solved.....no pulse, no flicker. That alternator was fine for the next 30k miles until I drove into some heavy water on a flooded street one night, it was enough water to soak the alternator to the point where the engine stalled. After this experience, voltage was always lower than it used to be, so I replaced the unit again with another one directly from GM. This solved the low voltage condition and everything was once again perfect. Through all of this, the pulsing never came back after 30k+ miles, with either of the replacement GM alternators.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 09-17-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I now have this problem after hitting a large pothole HARD with the right front tire. I checked all the wiring & grounds for loose or broken wires and have come up with nothing. The lights inside and out did not flicker or pulse at all before I hit the pothole so I dont think the alt is the issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Teching In

currently having this problem with the headlights, radio, dashlights flickering, and a couple times the motor bogged down... sometimes the gauges jump and the air bag light will flash a couple times.... Any thoughts or answers?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

a new alt.......preferably a truck alt
Old 09-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

i will have to try this when i find time to look at it
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

any particular brand?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

junkyard !!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

alright sounds good and it bolts right in I take it?
Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

yep...........and stickys are your friend
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Alternators don't go bad from sitting, unless they are sitting in a very corrosive environment, like a puddle. I still have the original alternator from my seldom driven '98, it still charges fine after 14 years. It is never exposed to moisture or the elements though. I did have a weird charing issue on the '98 once though, but it wasn't the alternator....it turned out to be a ground wire coming off the block that crossed the top of the alternator. Under certain conditions, the engine would move in such a way that this ground wire would come too close to the alternator case, rubbing the top of it and somehow disrupt charging. I insulated the ground wire in that area, and moved it as much as I could, which solved that problem.

Agreed. The fact that you were able to swap back and forth with a known good alternator onto a "problem" car and the issue was still present is proof of this.

I don't think there is just one issue going on to explain all of these examples. Some people are using **** quality rebuilds, and I think that is their issue. I've had problems with this myself in the past, with non-LS1 cars. Other people may have wiring/grounding issues that need to be dealt with. Some may also be seeing negative effects from aftermarket pullies.

The truck alternator may be a superior design but that doesn't mean that it's the real root of the issue here, for the simple fact that not all of these cars have this problem. If the factory design was incapable of proper operation in a stock application, then every one of these cars would have this issue.....and they don't. Swapping in a higher amp truck unit might cover up some other issue for some people, but it's not getting at the root of the problem, because if you have a stock electrical system then a properly functioning (meaning new or fully rebuilt with good parts) stock alternator should not and will not cause these pulsing issues.

My '02 car had some mild pusling of all the lights (interior and exterior) around ~75k miles. I replaced the original alternator with one that I bought directly from GM, and the problem was 100% solved.....no pulse, no flicker. That alternator was fine for the next 30k miles until I drove into some heavy water on a flooded street one night, it was enough water to soak the alternator to the point where the engine stalled. After this experience, voltage was always lower than it used to be, so I replaced the unit again with another one directly from GM. This solved the low voltage condition and everything was once again perfect. Through all of this, the pulsing never came back after 30k+ miles, with either of the replacement GM alternators.
Best place to get a replacement GM alternator?

Quick Reply: Pulsing/Flickering Int/Ext Lights.. I Have Replaced My Alt.