General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

leaking hatch need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking hatch need advice please

Well I don't post too often on here, but im constantly reading and searching the forums. Anyway I have a 2002 trans am that's leaking. At first I thought it was the T-tops, but it turns out it's the hatch weather stripping. I park on an incline usually with the nose pointing down, which i believe is my downfall because water always pools up in the hatch ducts. The weather stripping itself looks perfectly fine but the sealant used seems to be wearing. It's only seems to be worn about two inches, but leaks like a dam hose. I completely gutted the carpet out to dry it and then shampoo to rid it of the musty smell. My question(s) is can I just reseal the weather stripping or am I going to have to buy new stripping? And if it's safe to reseal it whats a good quality sealant? Also would it be a good idea to remove the entire piece or could i just reseal where its leaking? Trying to fix this permanently since taking out the carpet was a real PITA, although im digging the drag car look . thanks for any replies in advance appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a problem with water getting into the hatch area. I went and put a line of black silicone sealant in between the stock weatherstripping and the body. I dunno if that would help you or not. Also make sure the weatherstripping is in decent condition. GM manual calls for periodic application of silicone grease to all weatherstripping... I usually just spray it down with silicone spray and rub it in with a paper towel.

Also try to make sure the channels at the rear are somewhat clear so the area will drain when you do park normally.

If the weather stripping looks torn up then you should probably replace it though.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have a brand new box of weatherstripping for the hatch if you want to buy it. I'm located in pittsburgh. PM Me.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Are you sure the water is moving through the weatherstripping? If so, that's it. If not, there was a TSB a while back due to a sealant issue in the gutter.