General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

randomly dies while driving (3.8 v6)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 V6 with the 3.8 that will no longer start. I used to have the problem where it would suddenly die while driving, used to be no biggie, crank her back over and she would start back up and roll. THen one day I went to turn her on and the rpm's shot up to 3000, then the car sputtered and died, and I have not been able to start it up since. I swapped out the fuel pump and throttle body, still have not been able to get the car to start, I just read up on the fuel pressure regulator, and will try that this weekend, but anyone else have any issue similar to mine?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got an older Pontiac with the 3.8 V6, which was having the same problem. It turned out to be the IAC motor, which had carbon build-up (and was also a crappy after-market one, which I'd put in when the original one started sticking). Takes 5 minutes to replace.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:25 AM

Default Fixed?

So did the original poster fix his problem? I'm having the exact same issues and I don't want to have to spend thousands fixing the car if you managed to find the exact solution.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Backoff2069
So did the original poster fix his problem? I'm having the exact same issues and I don't want to have to spend thousands fixing the car if you managed to find the exact solution.
That was back in 2011, maybe try sending him a PM and see if he responds.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Fuel pump is likely the cause... Had a grand prix that did this a new pump solved it
Old 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately these 3.8 firebird are drive by wire and a complete pain in the azz. Some of the problems they have even the gm dealers couldn't fix. I personally couldn't even begin to tell you where to start because the wiring and computers involved in these cars is extremely complex. I'm a electrical systems engineer and honestly when I 1st seen the wiring systems involved in these cars I about sheet a brick!

I owned one of these cars for 1 month..............I took a 5k dollar loss just to get rid of the thing! It had so many odd issues the dealer told me straight up they probably can't fix it! It only had 20k miles on it 2002 model firebird.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up being the fuel pump relay.

I wasted a ton of time/money trying to replace the crank sensor... and it ended up being a damn relay.

The reason I never figured it out to begin with, was because the issue was so intermittent, that when I tested for fuel pressure, there was plenty since the relay was working at that moment in time.
Old 10-25-2023, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Default Antique car lover

I've had the same problems out of my 2000 Camaro 3.8 5 speed .. She has been giving me fits ... I've had her scanned several times, The car will still crank right on up and drive but when it hits about 30 mph it decides that's all the speed I'm gonna get and it goes dead every single time I slow down or come to a stop.. May crank back up may take a while. I've spent tons of money and have changed out: plugs and wires, crankshaft position sensor, all 3 coils twice in the last year, fuel injectors, air mass flow sensor, map sensor, fuel pump (about 10 months ago), fuel filter, oil filter, doesn't have a catalytic converter she is straight piped, changed the oil. I got another throttle body with another amf sensor attached off another Camaro haven't tried it yet. But thank you all for some great suggestions that I will definitely try.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiffany1980
I've had the same problems out of my 2000 Camaro 3.8 5 speed .. She has been giving me fits ... I've had her scanned several times, The car will still crank right on up and drive but when it hits about 30 mph it decides that's all the speed I'm gonna get and it goes dead every single time I slow down or come to a stop.. May crank back up may take a while. I've spent tons of money and have changed out: plugs and wires, crankshaft position sensor, all 3 coils twice in the last year, fuel injectors, air mass flow sensor, map sensor, fuel pump (about 10 months ago), fuel filter, oil filter, doesn't have a catalytic converter she is straight piped, changed the oil. I got another throttle body with another amf sensor attached off another Camaro haven't tried it yet. But thank you all for some great suggestions that I will definitely try.
get a good scanner like Xtool so you can datalog what is happening when it starts to die out

Quick Reply: randomly dies while driving (3.8 v6)