General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant leak?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Coolant leak?!

I have a 2002 z28 74k miles that I bought back in September. Since I have owned the car there has been a coolant smell outside the car and a hint on the inside. The guy I bought it from had the water pump replaced and I had the heater core checked out just in case and it was fine. Engine temp is fine as well. Never any puddles under car

Here is where it gets strange and this is the first time it happened. Last night I took the car out and was driving quite aggressively. I parked the car and shut it off when I got home and was outside talking on the phone and I hear a quick tssss sound like water dripped on to my header and eveporated. It did this 2 or 3 more times about every 30 to 45 seconds and it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Ofcourse I cannot see where its coming from though. Any ideas what is on that side that may be leaking?...i am hoping its not a head gasket or a cracked block....
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you been able to jack the car up and try to trace any leaking fuids?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you have the A/C on when you went for that aggressive drive? Because every time I park after driving with my A/C on.....condensation drips onto my LT's for a good 20 minutes.

But, you have the heater hoses that run along the passenger side, one of them could have a pinhole leak. I'd say put the front end up on ramps AFTER the engine is at operating temp. Then turn the engine off and wait a good 20 minutes as the pressure in the cooling systems slowly rises and pushes coolant out wherever this little slow leak is.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Launching!

I will definitly check the coolant hoses out. I think that my only dislike on this car is the fact you cant see crap in the engine bay without a lift..