General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What is detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is detonation?

I've been reading threads about EGR deletes and I have seen the term "detonation" appear very often. I was just wondering what it really means.

I'm thinking of blocking off the EGR to get rid of the tubes on the driver's side of the engine bay to clean it up a little bit. I have Texas Speed long tubes and somebody told me that it was surprising to see the EGR still there with the different headers.

Can some of you guys help me out please?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Detonation is also pre-ignition.

Meaning.....as the piston is coming upward on the combustion stroke, the fuel/air mixture ignites BEFORE its supposed to. So you have an explosion of the fuel/air mixture as the piston is still moving upward. Its terrible for the rod bearings and thats usually where the failure will happen and literally cause the total loss of the engine in most cases. Sometimes the engine won't be a total loss.
Basically the rod bearing gets crushed because the piston wants to keep traveling upward and the pre-ignition of the fuel/air is pushing the piston back down......well that piston is going all the way up, no two ways about it, so the energy must go somewhere....it crushes the rod bearing.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had pre-ignition (detonation) once years ago when terrible amounts of raw oil was getting by my bad valve seals in my heads and burning ontp my hot pistons as they blew through the engine. That burnt oil would cause hot spots all over the surface of the pistons and as I accelerated those hot spots would ignite the fuel/air BEFORE the piston reached top dead center (or wherever it was supposed to be when the spark plug fired to ignite at the right time.
Check the pics below.....that was all the burnt oil on my pistons. Dirty, then cleaned. All I did was put it back together and it was perfect, no more detonation.

Attached Thumbnails What is detonation?-headsprings-010.jpg   What is detonation?-headsprings-clean2.jpg  
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a blower or Nitrous, or a bad tune, it's unlikely that you have to worry. The knock retard on these cars pretty much prevent it.