General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C is a Pain in my ASS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call around your local junk yards. About 5 years back I picked up 3rd compressor (1st dealer replaced, 2nd autozone) for my wifes Stratus. Think they charged me ~~$70 and it had a 90 day warranty from them. It worked perfect.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

So what's the deal? How come some people get quoted $3k (WTF!) and some people get this $800.00 deal w/ lifetime warranty (Of course I would do this at a dealer, NO BRAINER!)

Which dealer is following procedure? Are some dealers offering an incredible deal while $3k is the standard price, or is $800.00 an across-GM price while $3k are some scumbag dealers trying to rip people off?

That price difference is just too huge... If I could recommend someone a legit $800.00 deal on their AC at their dealer, of course I would strongly recommend that... But I'd really like to know the price difference...

I was quoted $2k/$3k (can't remember which), so I said **** that and bought a low mileage used compressor here on LS1tech for $70.00, installed it w/ a buddy, and then went to a local place to help me with some finishing touches and a system purge, cleaning, and fill. That guy charged me $150... So the total was around $220-ish... Not bad, but their ain't no warranty and if it goes kaput I'm back to square one.

Of course I would gladly pay $800.00 for a whole AC system w/lifetime warranty on my ten year old sleds, but how come there's such a price difference between what people get quoted? I'd like to know... God I hate ******* dealers.

Last edited by bboyferal; 05-20-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Umm, do it yourself. . . .

I might be starting a full AC build for a customer here shortly.

I quoted, a total of 500 Bucks or less for parts + my 200 in labor

It includes:

Reman compressor - 200

Reworked AC lines x2 - 100

Fresh accumulator - 50

3 cans of 134a - 30

And I am hoping to salvage the evaporator and condenser.

This is on a 83 Mercedes. Our **** is even cheaper. People get hosed for stuff all day.

Had one a few weeks back. I quoted 200+ for parts + 150 for my labor. They decided to take it to a shop, since they thought they would give them a deal. 675 out the door, real nice.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
So what's the deal? How come some people get quoted $3k (WTF!) and some people get this $800.00 deal w/ lifetime warranty (Of course I would do this at a dealer, NO BRAINER!)

Which dealer is following procedure? Are some dealers offering an incredible deal while $3k is the standard price, or is $800.00 an across-GM price while $3k are some scumbag dealers trying to rip people off?

That price difference is just too huge... If I could recommend someone a legit $800.00 deal on their AC at their dealer, of course I would strongly recommend that... But I'd really like to know the price difference...

I was quoted $2k/$3k (can't remember which), so I said **** that and bought a low mileage used compressor here on LS1tech for $70.00, installed it w/ a buddy, and then went to a local place to help me with some finishing touches and a system purge, cleaning, and fill. That guy charged me $150... So the total was around $220-ish... Not bad, but their ain't no warranty and if it goes kaput I'm back to square one.

Of course I would gladly pay $800.00 for a whole AC system w/lifetime warranty on my ten year old sleds, but how come there's such a price difference between what people get quoted? I'd like to know... God I hate ******* dealers.
Its a little bit of a drive for you, but if you ever need A/C work done....PM me. I'll call my guy (service writer) who I've been friends with since I bought my car in 1998. My A/C was done 5+ years ago, but its better when you know someone. He works at Sheehan Pontiac in Pompano. He'll hook you up. There's no way on gods green earth that an A/C job will cost $3,000 there. Plus, I have a lifetime 15% off card, good for any service job they do. It looks like a credit card. I can give that to you to use also for whatever work they do . The owner of the dealership is also a friend of mine, Tom Sheehan, he personally gave me that card one day when I was there just buying parts, he started asking about my car because he heard me come rumbling in, he asked me if I would let his mechanics put my car on a lift so they could use it as a mule to see how to run lines for his F-Body because his car was in the paint shop. He was installing a pre-oiler on his 408ci F-Body. He has a couple F-Bodies, one with a 383ci and one with a 408ci. He also just got a new 408ci put in his Pontiac G8. He's driven my car a couple times when I come in to buy parts, we always chat when I'm there. He's a regular cool dude just like us.

And I have a Lifetime warranty on my A/C.....parts AND labor.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i finally figured it out. it was a bad gasket that lead into the accumulator. the seal was bad even though it was a brand new one. we found it by charging it for a 4th time and using a leak tester. it was such a small leak that we passed over it every other time (the tester can be spot on or useless) once we found it we sprayed soapy water and found bubbles. it only leaked under high pressure so it would leak out when i was driving but now when i was parked hopefully we fixed it, if not im tearing the bitch out and making a front mount turbo instead
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im going to shoot myself... now that its working the bitch is squeaking. i replaced both pulleys and its still squeaking. the belt seems perfectly fine and when i sprayed belt conditioner (i hate that ****) nothing happened. it still squeaked like it always did.
i took the belt off and the engine running without the a/c connected make no noise but right when the belt is put back on its squeaks and when the a/c is turned on its even worse
Old 05-21-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
Its a little bit of a drive for you, but if you ever need A/C work done....PM me. I'll call my guy (service writer) who I've been friends with since I bought my car in 1998. My A/C was done 5+ years ago, but its better when you know someone. He works at Sheehan Pontiac in Pompano. He'll hook you up. There's no way on gods green earth that an A/C job will cost $3,000 there. Plus, I have a lifetime 15% off card, good for any service job they do. It looks like a credit card. I can give that to you to use also for whatever work they do . The owner of the dealership is also a friend of mine, Tom Sheehan, he personally gave me that card one day when I was there just buying parts, he started asking about my car because he heard me come rumbling in, he asked me if I would let his mechanics put my car on a lift so they could use it as a mule to see how to run lines for his F-Body because his car was in the paint shop. He was installing a pre-oiler on his 408ci F-Body. He has a couple F-Bodies, one with a 383ci and one with a 408ci. He also just got a new 408ci put in his Pontiac G8. He's driven my car a couple times when I come in to buy parts, we always chat when I'm there. He's a regular cool dude just like us.

And I have a Lifetime warranty on my A/C.....parts AND labor.

Damn... I will remember that! Thanks dude!

So it sounds like that's NOT the regular price but a very special one that dealers have the option to offer... My condolences to all the bastards out there that have paid $2/3k... If I would have known about this deal two years ago, I would have gladly paid the $800.00 vs what I did which can go any day.

What's funny is that my red TA, which is a one of nine, is a Sheehan Pontiac car!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by my bandit
im going to shoot myself... now that its working the bitch is squeaking. i replaced both pulleys and its still squeaking. the belt seems perfectly fine and when i sprayed belt conditioner (i hate that ****) nothing happened. it still squeaked like it always did.
i took the belt off and the engine running without the a/c connected make no noise but right when the belt is put back on its squeaks and when the a/c is turned on its even worse
Is it more of a chirp from the pulleys or is it really from the belt?

Quick Reply: A/C is a Pain in my ASS!!!