General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help diagnose mount problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Help diagnose mount problem

Noticed something loose coming from under the car at wot shifts only. Sometimes shifts felt funny. Theres was banging like theres something loose. But its only at wot when trans is shifting.
I will crawl under the car tomorrow to look but I just have some questions that might help figure some things out thanks.

1- Can I tell if my motor mounts are going just by idle or giving it throttle from under the hood?

2- Is it possible that a bad trans mount only shows it ugly head under wot?

3- Is a torque arm bushing only bad if it lets loose totally causing TA to bang floorboard or could it still be causing problems still intact?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

all the rubber is over 10 yrs old........its MUSH
Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

^ yes you are probably right thanks.

T T T Please
Old 05-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your mounts are bad. The tranny mount is probably split in two and the torque arm mount is likely split or badly torn. To test the engine mounts, rev the engine a bit with it in gear and the hood up. If the engine looks like it wants to twist itself out of the engine bay, those are bad as well.

Baby the car until you replace them. NO MORE WOT shifting just to see what happens. The mounts are bad. I had both of mine replaced a month ago. Both were in horrendous shape.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elthesh
Your mounts are bad. The tranny mount is probably split in two and the torque arm mount is likely split or badly torn. To test the engine mounts, rev the engine a bit with it in gear and the hood up. If the engine looks like it wants to twist itself out of the engine bay, those are bad as well.

Baby the car until you replace them. NO MORE WOT shifting just to see what happens. The mounts are bad. I had both of mine replaced a month ago. Both were in horrendous shape.
One of the answers I was looking for. Just put the car under load and reved. The engine twists to right side of car. I was amazed at how much twist! Well shoot, I should have done them when I did headers
What kind of mounts do I get now and from where?