General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

White residue Inside exhaust tips????

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default White residue Inside exhaust tips????

Dead/dying cats? From the lean mixture?

Long story short for a few months my car has had an intermittent stumbling at highway speeds cruising in 6th which throws a code Lean 02 drivers front side. SEL turns off after a bit and then continues to drive perfect for a few weeks before happening again.

lately Ive been noticing my exhaust tips are never 'normal' as they were for the entire year. Im seeing white oxidation-like stuff inside the tips and today I noticed they are like teeny little *****.

I don't know, but the rear 02s 'MAY' have been turned off. Idont know how to check it there is a tune done. Car is stock with 1.82 rrs Kooks Longtubes, Kooks catted Y and B&B muffler to cme tips. nothing else mod wise besides green air filter.

Is this a dying cat? Last year it was EXACTLy borderline for the emissions test which i did pass.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what year is the car? if it's pre-1996 there's no rear o2 reading anyway, only the sniffer and if it's post 1996, then there's no sniffer, only relies on the rear o2.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

OMG - Your car is on crack!

You definitely have some abnormal combustion going on. Do you have a tune or any mods to the engine? If not, the precat O2 sensors are probably a good place to start if they have a lot of miles on them.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
OMG - Your car is on crack!

You definitely have some abnormal combustion going on. Do you have a tune or any mods to the engine? If not, the precat O2 sensors are probably a good place to start if they have a lot of miles on them.
Yes previous owner had a tune done. Mods are light kooks stainless longtubes, kooks catted y pipe and b&b muffler, crane adj 1.82 roller rockers new pushrods and comp 918s, green filter.. Pretty much it. Roller rockers and spring/pushrods was the only mod I did last fall. No idea on o2 age but they seem to work fine and randomly throw a code (low o2 voltage) so Im not sure if they're faulty. $150 is pricey for an o2 I can't be sure is going .
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

A good scanning tool can show the waveforms of the O2 sensors. That's the only way to really tell if they are performing correctly, or not. Gone is the day, where they were cheap enough to just replace like a spark plug...

I'd suggest starting with a tuner. They can look at the O2 waveforms and should be able to see what's going on. Something is obviously odd with your combustion and whatever is broken may be throwing things off with your tune.

My guess is that those deposits must be related to combustion temperature or pressure. If that's the case, your car is a special case given the uniqueness of your tune and valve train.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
...My guess is that those deposits must be related to combustion temperature or pressure. If that's the case, your car is a special case given the uniqueness of your tune and valve train.
Agreed!

Quick Reply: White residue Inside exhaust tips????