General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

knocking noise at 2200-3000 rpms can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise at 2200-3000 rpms can't figure it out

ave looked threw alot of the threads and i can't find what iam looking for. Ive got a 01 ss, notice a ticking/rattling noise upon start up but gets quieter as the car warms up. ( told its piston slap)

My main concern is while driving the car i can hear a knocking noise that starts at 2200rpms and goes all the way up to 3000 rpms under light load( warm or cold doesn't matter), heavy load i can't hear it. its coming from the engine bay sound like driver side.

but when i do WOT Run i hear nothing until high rpms and it sounds like a almost marble sound at high rpms starting at 4500 and up, almost sounds like a heat shield or something of that nature ( also told its detonation). oil pressure is good burns little no no oil. the knocking noise iam hearing is only in 1st, 2nd and barely third gear ( under light load starting at 2200rpms) after that i can't hear it. the best example i can give is it sounds like when u were a kid and u put a card in your spoke wheel and take off down the road. people have told me lifters, push rods, cadi's, and i no the only way iam going to find out is if i break into it, just wanted some pointers before i start. also last oil change i had no metal flakes on the oil plug. car is bone stock beside the slp lid, using 5w-20 Mobil 1.

getting ready to put cams, and long tube headers, lifters, pushrods, beehive springs. but wanted to get some advice before paying some one to do it. i will try and post a video with in the next couple of days ( aka iam a newbie) any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look for an exhaust leak first, i'd guess that by the "card" noise you said.. Second, check your pushrods for straightness if you've over-revved it recently. pull them out and roll them on glass. If you can't find the noise, try changing to a heavier oil, it could be an unhappy lifter.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the heads came off today and the lifters did not look to bad but there was 2 of them that had a little scaring on them, but we did find out that the primary cause of the noise was the timing chain/sprocket.

The sprocket's "Teeth" were wore down to a round point, on some of the teeth, and the timing chain was stretched... alot.

but the lopes on the cam had normal were from what i could tell, but i will info and post some pics/videos of the cars old parts soon..

the push rods were straight, and the pistons/ piston walls were clean aka no scars or anything. but thanks for the input and if it is an exhaust leak the new long tube headers will take care of it iam sure.

will post the numbers after the xr275hr cam install/tune and the longtube headers etc...

Quick Reply: knocking noise at 2200-3000 rpms can't figure it out