General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Searching for idle; HIGH idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

A few of the guys on LS2.com are local to me, Lafayette Lousiana, and said they'd come by when I get home with stock parts. Then we can start swapping and try a process of elimination.

I have to admit, I've done about everything on cars. I'm stumped on this one. Going up to 3k all by itself, after holding regular idle for a few seconds is just... weird, to say the least.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
A few of the guys on LS2.com are local to me, Lafayette Lousiana, and said they'd come by when I get home with stock parts. Then we can start swapping and try a process of elimination.

I have to admit, I've done about everything on cars. I'm stumped on this one. Going up to 3k all by itself, after holding regular idle for a few seconds is just... weird, to say the least.
If everything is tight with no gasket leaks.........no ****, this is weird. I'd like to have a crack at it if I was closer to you.....

Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure made mine idle pretty high. Mine ranged from hanging around 1800-2100. There has got to be a leak somewhere.

I never thought about the expoxy chuncking off. That kind of worries me.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmartin8
It sure made mine idle pretty high. Mine ranged from hanging around 1800-2100. There has got to be a leak somewhere.

I never thought about the expoxy chuncking off. That kind of worries me.
A few people around here used a nut and bolt...then threw a little tack weld on it so the nut can't unscrew over time.

But I've seen one done from a welder, its an amazingly easy job for any welder and it looks factory. Literally takes 1-2 minutes.

Yea, that hard epoxy could devastate a ring, or maybe even cause a valve to get bent if the valve closed onto it. I'm just not sure over time what the constant heating and cooling of the engine bay and intake will effect it. It could loosen it.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Just got off the phone with Thunder Racing. I'm going to bring it to them next week if I don't get it figured out in few days after I'm home. He seems to think it's either a bad port job on the TB, or a MASSIVE vacuum leak somewhere.

Either way, for them to talk to me on the phone and treat me with dignity for over 10 minutes, they just won over a future customer.

I still don't want to admit defeat though. There has to be SOMETHING I'm missing here. Only thing left to replace is the TB gasket. Might as well anyways. I had it off earlier in the year though when I did my water pump and it looked great though...

Oh well. It'll be Miller Time when I get home, and come hell or high water, I'm going to figure it out. I have enough pride to admit when I'm wrong too, so if it's something ridiculous, I'll post it up here.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Just got off the phone with Thunder Racing. I'm going to bring it to them next week if I don't get it figured out in few days after I'm home. He seems to think it's either a bad port job on the TB, or a MASSIVE vacuum leak somewhere.

Either way, for them to talk to me on the phone and treat me with dignity for over 10 minutes, they just won over a future customer.

I still don't want to admit defeat though. There has to be SOMETHING I'm missing here. Only thing left to replace is the TB gasket. Might as well anyways. I had it off earlier in the year though when I did my water pump and it looked great though...

Oh well. It'll be Miller Time when I get home, and come hell or high water, I'm going to figure it out. I have enough pride to admit when I'm wrong too, so if it's something ridiculous, I'll post it up here.
Thunder Racing has always been a class act.........

If you have a garge to parl the car in where there's no wind at all.......you could start the car and use a cigarette and see if the smoke gets sucked in anywhere around the intake, TB and front and back of the intake. But the smoke has to have zero wind. And you only have a few minutes of the car running in the garage too......

A friend of mine had this cool little gizmo that you slid a lit cigarette into and then screwed it onto this electric air blower....it blew smoke from the cigarette awesome to look for vacuum leaks.

I think Cheech and Chong had one in one of their movies too......

Old 08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Well, home tomorrow to start the process of elimination. Have a new MAF waiting for me too.

Check this out- Sponsor sent me another NEW P&P TB, as well as MY core back, free, to try to help also. If it does wind up being the TB, I'll send back the bad one. If not, I send one back anyways.

Glad to know a man's word still matters somewhere! If that's not service after the sale, I don't know what is.

Should hopefully have an update Wednesday evening.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Here's the update. Sorry for the delay as well. I welcomed home my 5th daughter on Tuesday

Got the new MAF sensor in the mail Wednesday morning. I put it on... Problem still there. Went down to 850 briefly, then shot right up to 3k and held.

Funny part is, pulling up to a red light, it would hold 850 unless I released the clutch after shifting to neutral....

Anyways, back in my garage. I thought the hell with it. Let me throw my old IAC back on and see what happens.

OLD IAC FIXED THE PROBLEM 100%

After I compared the two, the new one was about a 1/4" too short..... Weird. The part number on the receipt was 17113598, ACDelco IAC for a 5.7 Camaro....

Got my money back none the less. I guess the moral of the story here is:

1) when ureplace a part, KEEP IT. You never know if you might need to fall back on it, or even cross check.

2) Just b/c you were given the right part # on paper it doesnt mean it's right. Hold them up and compare.

All I can say is "woo ****** hoo" cause my aggrevation level is a steady 1 now, instead of a 9.5

Thanks for all the suggestions too guys. It helped me track it down.