General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C box is cracked! Water leaking in floor!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C box is cracked! Water leaking in floor!

The other day my fiancee noticed water leaking in the pass floorboard while we were out cruising. My first guess was the weep hole was plugged, but this isnt the case. Its coming out fine from under the car, but its also coming into the interior. I took the cover off the bottom of the dash and found a good sized crack on the box right against the firewall ( assuming this is the a/c box?)

Question is, do I have to take the whole dash apart to get the box out to repair the crack? If someone has delt with this before I would appreciate any help and tips. I really don't understand how it could happen, unless someone has been kicking it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, to remove the box itself the entire dash has to be removed, I have completely removed the box and all the ducts etc. from my car, I am speaking from experience. There is a really good write up somewhere on this site with pics, read it and if you are not comfortable with all the work, and it is alot of work,, then just dry the unit out, clean the area around the crack, and give the blsck permatex ultra a shot.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd try removing the blower motor and look inside to see if it can be sealed that way. Only a plug connector and 3 screws to remove.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

I have a similar issue. I think mine is a cracked heater core. I've read somewhere that you can just remove the glove compartment door. I haven't looked into it much more, but I do remember a thread.

Post #16
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...loorboard.html

Hopefully yours is similar and as easy to fix
Old 07-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys, and sorry for the late reply. Ripped all the carpet out since it looked like a pond in the pass side floorboard. Think I will try and remove the blower motor and see if I can see the crack from there. Or I may just say the hell with it and just tear the whole a/c system out of the car. Summer is almost over anyway.

Quick Reply: A/C box is cracked! Water leaking in floor!