General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mystery oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mystery oil leak

Ok, I've done some searching on here and got some ideas as to where my oil leak could be coming from. I randomly got an oil leak one day, so from a quick look i figured it was the RMS as the oil was dripping from the bellhousing area/driver side, i dropped everything and when I pulled the flywheel off, no leak. I replaced my drain plug to just make sure and it still leaks. I went under the car today sprayed everything down and laid under the car while it was running. It appears the leak is coming from the oil galley plug area above the oil filter so I tried to tighten it but I was still very tight from when I built the motor and I used a thread sealer so they weren't bare threads. I'm still stumped on where else i could be leaking from. The pressure sensor isnt leaking nor is the head.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your oil pressure switch. I suspect mine leaks from there.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guy7bmwm83
Check your oil pressure switch. I suspect mine leaks from there.
Yep checked that, its dry.....
Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Cleaned the whole undercarriage down and ran a UV dye in the motor the front oil plug next to the alt was leaking so i pulled that and put thread sealer on it, and took the car out for a drive and saw its still leaking after i parked it. It is still leaking from the rear driver side of the motor...any ideas before I put the car back on the lift tomorrow to check.