General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 corvette, broken door lock mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 corvette, broken door lock mechanism

the door lock entry/key hole is broken, i can insert the key fine, but all it does is spin the lock tumbler freely inside the door handle.. i assume i will need to pull the door handle assembly out of the door from the outside? i have already had the inside door panel removed but you can't access the lock from there apparently.. how do i go about removing the door handle assy w/o damaging anything? and i guess i will have to take lock tumbler to dealership with the key to have them order me a replacement matched lock tumbler? or should i remove it and take it to a lock smith?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you actually use the key to open the door? Don't you have keyless entry?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Launching!

i would love to have keyless entry, but something is wrong with the internal unit, i bought a replacement remote and followed all instructions and it wouldn't sync up.. the previous owner said he had to disconnect the keyless entry for some reason, i can't remember now, but even when i hooked everything back up it still didn't work.. i just need to know what to do about being able to get in my car via the standard lock tumbler mechanism, i am having to lock everything up in the console everytime i get out and its a huge pita
Old 08-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Launching!

ttt, any ideas?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Just take off the inside door panel. Once off, you should be able to stick your head in the back (you may need a mirror also) and you should be able to inspect the linkages.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Launching!

yeah, i took the inside panel off, no luck there.. didn't try a mirror.. it appears that the door handle and lock mechanism are made into one piece that is separate from the outside door skin.. just need to figure out how that might pop out or whatever..