General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C help

Trying to diagnose my A/C problem. Fan turns on and off, which then lets the clutch overheat, which causes it to constantly turn A/C on and off. Stays blowing air, just turns to ambient air instead of cool air.

Are the fans supposed to stay on constantly while the A/C is turned on? If so, anyone have any ideas as to why the fan only stays on part time?

I have replaced the low-pressure switch on the top of the engine bay. Checked the relays in the fuse box. All good there. Re-charged with R134 so that's not an issue. I'm stumped.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a very similar issue with a 96 LT1 car. I wish I could offer some advice but I haven't come up with a fix yet. I kinda think I have a leak. I have sniffed it everywhere and cant find anything but I seem to lose freon.

You might check for a leak.

Oh, I forgot to add that I can assure you that the fans should run all the time when you turn on the AC

Last edited by kyoytey1693; 08-14-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

thanks. i know i don't have a leak. had it recharged anyway, but it was almost full when the recharge was completed. still have good pressure.

my next culprit is the fan itself. either the fan is broken or my ecu/wires are sending mixed signals. fan will come on sometimes, other times it will turn off while the A/C is running.

i will update this thread so that others with the same problem will know my solution. in the meantime, any additional help would be great!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Man i got pretty much the same problem i got 98 firebird and my fans wont even kick on high ima try my highpressure sensor and my pcm. I already checked all of the relays maybe try thoughs. I used an amp reader and used a ground wire to check if its relaying or not. The "prongs" should be 87 and 30. I hooked it up to my batter for the power.
Good luck. If i fix mine ill try and post what the problem was