General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Broken Window Regulator Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken Window Regulator Mounts

My window started giving me some of the symptoms of a dying motor recently so I tore apart the panel this weekend to investigate further or at the very least, lube the tracks to get a few more weeks out of it. Then I noticed the rivets that locate and secure the window regulator are quite "free" in their slots. What's the best way to go about fixing this? I am hoping for something other than some filler compound to fill out the slots and make holes again.

The video starts with the window in the full up position and you can see the rivets move as the window stops at the full bottom position. The video then shows a few start and stops to get it back up.

Now, I was looking at the other holes that were not "converted" into slots but it doesn't appear as if you could rotate because the bottom right one wouldn't match up and the top right one has only 1 hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcriT08wHP8
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need to make one of these...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ncluded-2.html

Pictures of what you need to make are on the second page.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also go to the dealership and buy the new stronger steel rivets they made just for this issue. I got them when my holes just barely started to get stretched out......I put them in and its solid as a rock. It saved me from having to do the metal plate mod. You are WAY past that though, you must do the metal plate mod.......but the steel rivets would be good too. I think, IIRC, they were about $10.00 for 5 rivets.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
You can also go to the dealership and buy the new stronger steel rivets they made just for this issue. I got them when my holes just barely started to get stretched out......I put them in and its solid as a rock. It saved me from having to do the metal plate mod. You are WAY past that though, you must do the metal plate mod.......but the steel rivets would be good too. I think, IIRC, they were about $10.00 for 5 rivets.

Sounds like you are talking about the OEM aluminum jacket steel mandrel rivets. These fill the hole much better than a regular steel/steel rivet will and they don't tear up the door.

But yes, once the holes are no longer round, its game over.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

This should help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...iberglass.html

Quick Reply: Broken Window Regulator Mounts