General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 overheating..

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 overheating..

how to know if the overheating is caused by air in system , bad cap ,bad coolant bad t'stat or bad water pump ?

how to test the water pump if it's working fine ?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Air in the system and thermostat are likely. Bad coolant and bad water pump that doesn't leak is unlikely
Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohammed
how to know if the overheating is caused by air in system , bad cap ,bad coolant bad t'stat or bad water pump ?

how to test the water pump if it's working fine ?
Air in the system.......boiling over of coolant will happen. OR.....the air pocket can get caught on the engine side of the t-stat and that air bubble will keep the t-stat from opening and you will overheat pretty fast, as in 10-15 minutes of driving.

Bad cap......you will slowly lose coolant over time, THEN out of nowhere you will be driving and it will overheat very fast. You will then check your coolant, in the radiator, and it will be way way low. The coolant in the form of steam will slowly leak out of the bad cap into the overflow tank. But if its slow, you will not know.

Bad t-stat....if its stuck closed you will start to overheat after 10-15 minutes of driving.

Bad water pump....if you are 1 in a million cars that has the shaft shear off and the water pump doesn't move any coolant at all.

Bad coolant....it would have to be like sludge before it stops cooling the system.

Is the water pump moving water:......If you take the radiator cap off when the engine is dead COLD.....start the engine and wait about 5-10 minutes until the t-stat opens...you will plainly see the coolant in the radiator flowing.

Overflow tank has NOTHING to do with your cooling system as far as overheating issues are concerned. You can remove that tank, plug that tank or fill it with cement.....if the cooling system is healthy and working properly, AND HOLDING PRESSURE, its kept out of the loop and does absolutely nothing.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS6427
Air in the system.......boiling over of coolant will happen. OR.....the air pocket can get caught on the engine side of the t-stat and that air bubble will keep the t-stat from opening and you will overheat pretty fast, as in 10-15 minutes of driving.

Bad cap......you will slowly lose coolant over time, THEN out of nowhere you will be driving and it will overheat very fast. You will then check your coolant, in the radiator, and it will be way way low. The coolant in the form of steam will slowly leak out of the bad cap into the overflow tank. But if its slow, you will not know.

Bad t-stat....if its stuck closed you will start to overheat after 10-15 minutes of driving.

Bad water pump....if you are 1 in a million cars that has the shaft shear off and the water pump doesn't move any coolant at all.

Bad coolant....it would have to be like sludge before it stops cooling the system.

Is the water pump moving water:......If you take the radiator cap off when the engine is dead COLD.....start the engine and wait about 5-10 minutes until the t-stat opens...you will plainly see the coolant in the radiator flowing.

Overflow tank has NOTHING to do with your cooling system as far as overheating issues are concerned. You can remove that tank, plug that tank or fill it with cement.....if the cooling system is healthy and working properly, AND HOLDING PRESSURE, its kept out of the loop and does absolutely nothing.

thanks for the troubleshooting tips , will check that soon
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you get the air out of the system?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firechicken76
how do you get the air out of the system?
here is what I do

1-remove radiator cap
2-start engine
3-let it idle until it reaches temp , t'stat should open
4-coolant level will drop
5-add more coolant
6-rev the engine a little and wait bubbles will come out
7-close cap
8-repeat if needed
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is what I do

1-remove radiator cap
2-start engine
3-let it idle until it reaches temp , t'stat should open
4-coolant level will drop
5-add more coolant
6-rev the engine a little and wait bubbles will come out
7-close cap
8-repeat if needed
thanks you, i took my car to the track, and it over heated after my last run, it popped off the over flow tanks cap and spit coolant everywhere. i then noticed the fans werent plugged in, so i plugged them in and they just stay on now.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

thanks you, i took my car to the track, and it over heated after my last run, it popped off the over flow tanks cap and spit coolant everywhere. i then noticed the fans werent plugged in, so i plugged them in and they just stay on now.

that sux, I had the same when coolant spread all over the engine bay and got mad that day.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sux, I had the same when coolant spread all over the engine bay and got mad that day.
yea, thats exactly what happend to me, you say thats from air in the system?
Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

yea, thats exactly what happend to me, you say thats from air in the system?

on my cousine's TA it turned out to be a faulty thermostat , but on my vette it was air in the system

Quick Reply: LS1 overheating..