General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

stupid belt/compressor noise after new A/C compressor install

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid belt/compressor noise after new A/C compressor install

So i installed one of the ebay chinese A/C compressors in my car last week and ever since when I start the car it makes this stupid squealing sound that's really embarrasing. Of course it quiets down or goes away after I turn the A/C on so I'm thinking the AC clutch is tightening something up making the noise go away. Also, after about 10 minutes of driving it doesn't make that noise anymore. I reused the stock belt when I swapped compressors and everything seemed to go fine. AC works great 3 weeks later so there's no real problem but the noise sucks. I'm wondering if it's the inferior bearings inside the chinese compressor that make the noise and I'll just have to live with it. Anybody have this problem?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

try a new belt.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Well I sprayed belt dressing onto the upper idler pulley down by the compressor while it was running and the noise disappeared. It may come back but at least I've narrowed it down. I'm not sure if there is a ball bearing in there but it has that type of sound like it's going bad. So worst case I need a new idler/guide pulley, no big deal.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like your compressor clutch is adjusted too close so its dragging untill you turn the A/C on...

Quick Reply: stupid belt/compressor noise after new A/C compressor install