General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dirty MAF from K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dirty MAF from K&N?

I took my MAF out to try some MAF cleaner (no SES light but figured it could use it once in a while). When I took it apart, I noticed the front looking like some crud is coated on the metal, and some on the diodes while the back looks shiny. I used the MAF cleaner and the diodes do look somewhat better, but the metal that the wires are connected to still has crud that doesn't seem to dissolve.

Is that something I need to worry about?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can take an artists paintbrush and soak it in the cleaner, then try to clean the leads on the probe,,, But I would not touch it with your hands, I have heard they are extremely delicate..
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First thing.....get rid if the K&N. This is a HUGE, ongoing problem with people using the K&N trying to get that extra .0000001 "claimed" HP from the filter..... lol while having the problems that come with it. Problems not just being reduced engine performance from constantly having a dirty MAF, but more importantly LESS engine protection. Get a paper filter (I suggest a MANN filter, they are awesome), and you will have much better engine protection....and I guarantee you will not lose any HP....

Do not touch those tiny wires in the MAF, they break easily. Just spray the **** out of them, 10 times if you have to. You can spray them with something stronger to dissolve the K&N crap.......then go over it with MAF cleaner. You can rub the other larger pillars inside the MAF though.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I continued to spray 10-15 more times and finally the rest of the gunk came off the hot wires. Not sure if I am just imagining this, but the car feels a bit snappier and stronger than before cleaning the MAF.

Wound up using the entire can, but that can costs less than a new MAF...
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Well, I continued to spray 10-15 more times and finally the rest of the gunk came off the hot wires. Not sure if I am just imagining this, but the car feels a bit snappier and stronger than before cleaning the MAF.

Wound up using the entire can, but that can costs less than a new MAF...
Good...thats why they make MAF cleaner........it gives you back performance that the dirt stole away. Now get a paper air filter and allow that MAF to work at 100% of its potential, giving you 100% of your engines max potential. K&N air filters actually TAKE power from engines using MAF's the second a tiny bit gets on those MAF sensor wires. It happens the second its wet out or it rains.......or any fog or mist in the air. It re-activates that crap oil in the filter, and the first place it lands on is the MAF wires.

And now you see how hard that crap is to get off the MAF too. It hits is wet, then dries on there like that............

Last edited by LS6427; 08-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I have the Moroso CAI. Do they make paper filters that are cone-shaped and would fit the CAI?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff 97 Formula
Well, I have the Moroso CAI. Do they make paper filters that are cone-shaped and would fit the CAI?
That I don't know.........

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually brings a question of mine up, do they make cold air intakes that use paper filters anymore?
I know you could use the factory style paper filter if you got the slp intake for the ls1 engines but i have the lt1 now....
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
This actually brings a question of mine up, do they make cold air intakes that use paper filters anymore?
I know you could use the factory style paper filter if you got the slp intake for the ls1 engines but i have the lt1 now....
Don't know....but if I had a cone filter.........I'd buy a paper filter and cut it open and make it fit my cone filter.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have a KN....and i dont have that problem.......the maf normally gets dirty........it was dirty before i put on the KN
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my god another k&n problem, the real problem with those filters is the fact people over oil them. i have been using them for over 20yrs in multiple cars with no problems, they have not destroyed my engines or carburetors or any part of my efi system. if you dont have your instructions to the filter it is really common sense, it is even on there web site. dont be fooled by the foolish.

Quick Reply: Dirty MAF from K&N?