General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering bleeding issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Power steering bleeding issue

Just replaced my original PS pump with Cardone rebuild, as well as the pressure line. I replaced it because it was leaking. An interesting note is that when I removed the reservoir from the old pump, the leak seemed to come from the o-ring between the reservoir and pump.
I then went through the process of bleeding the system.

1 - filled reservoir with PS fluid, prestone. Didn't have enough so then added some NAPA power steering fluid (it's blue).

2 - lifted front wheels off the ground, and turned wheels back and forth about 20 times, making sure to hit the stop each time. I noted that I didn't need to add very much fluid.

3 - I stared the engine, with the wheels still up in the air, and did the same thing, turning the wheel back and forth a number of times. I noted that the steering wheel was pulsing as I was turning it, and that eventually went away. Noted that I didn't need to add any additional fluid (cap was off all the time). Pump was noisy, but that went away.

4 - let the engine sit overnight, with the cap still off to allow any more air to bleed.

5 - This morning, checked the fluid level and it's still the same. Started the car and the pump was whining. Move the car forward and backwards while turning the wheel stop to stop, and I felt it pulsing on several occasions. Would whine from time to time, but not consistently. One thing I noted here is that the fluid was very hot (couldn't hod my hand on the reservoir). I only had the car running for less than 5 minutes. I was getting power assist, but not consistently. It was working fine before I swapped out the pump (thinking that the rack was working fine before the swap).

6. Shut it off, and the fluid level hasn't changed.

Here's the questions. I've used two different brand of regular power steering fluid. Is that a problem? I did not flush the rack. Is that a problem?

Why is the fluid getting so hot? I'm guessing that I still have air in there and have to start the bleeding process over again with the wheels up in the air. Any additional thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Update: Started car this AM, fluid level remains stable. With the engine running, had my wife turn the wheels as I watched the fluid level in the reservoir. I didn't see much fluid movement in the top of the reservoir while my wife was turning the wheels, The entire unit started shaking and I noticed that the pulley seemed to be moving forward. I got the impression that the pulley might have been slipping on the shaft. I took off the belt and noticed that it was easy to rotate the pump (wanted to be sure it wasn't binding), and that the I now have about 1/8" forward/backward movement of the shaft.

With everything hot, I'm unable to get the pulley off using the collar-type pulley puller. So, the shaft movement is not the pulley, but the pump shaft. Once it cools down, I'll try and get the pulley off and confirm the shaft problem. Looks to me to be a bad pump. I still have the original pump, and since the leak was from the failed o-ring between the reservoir and the pump, I'm thinking that I'll re-install the original and see what happens.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by xny1989; 09-15-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you should get a new O ring and reinstall the old pump
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It sounds like your reman pump is a dud. Once the system is bled, the only way air can get in is with bad seals on the pump.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Going to re-install the original pump today and see how that works out. it seems to me that the system never really got bled since I didn't have to add fluid after initially putting it in. Also going to confirm that I didn't mess up the hose installs by over-tightening, since the o-ring does the seal, not the threads.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. It definitely sounds like a boo boo ps pump.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. Pump is bad. I installed the original back in, and it bled the way it was supposed to, with a little foam. Had to add a little additional fluid. Stared it up and it felt exactly the way it's supposed to.

I noticed that the O rings in both the pressure and return line where a little chewed up. Put them back in but will replace them ASAP.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,

After the pump has been on for almost a month now, while everything seems to be working and no leaks, the pump remains noisy (kinda like a ford), the steering effort is a little harder but I don't mind, but I detect a slight pulsing in the steering wheel. What do you folks think?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Save the manuals!

If the original pump is the one that's been on for a month, I think that proves the reman one was bad and that the original one is wearing out.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, this is the replacement pump for the bad pump I sent back. The original pump has already been sent back as a core replacement.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Is this another reman pump, then? From the same company?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, it's a Cardone from Rock auto.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What makes a rebuilt power steering pump noisy? It's fine until I turn the wheel, then it whines. I've got NAPA power steering fluid in there and it is nice and clean.

Quick Reply: Power steering bleeding issue