General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle issues, and few codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle issues, and few codes

motor im working with is a 2000 silverado 5.3l drive by cable.
swapped into a 1979 chevy k20 truck.
mated to a th350/203

the problem im running into here is whether the motor is hot or cold, when i start the truck, the idle shoots way up to 2000 rpm, for about 30 seconds, then gradually comes down to 1500, and over a period of 2 minutes or so it will settle at 800 when its warm.

Update: also found i had two codes that just came up the other day, truck was running great besides the idle issue, then on my way home just before the house i got check engine light, p0172 and 175. both banks are to rich.

My brothers laptop (autotap hookup) is telling me desired engine speed is 600 rpm, which im not seeing.
i believe it was the IAC or MAF counts were reading 0 at idle is this normal?

and my dakota digital VSS converter is reading 6-9 mph just sitting still in park.

i have replaced intake gaskets thinking it could be the problem, but cant find a vacuum leak.

did some work on the scanner today, found out, those two codes, MAF was reading around 11.8 lbs? dont remember what scale it was reading. vss was reading 3-5 mph,
Bank one was reading -15- -19 % i believe
Bank two was reading -15- -31 % ( smoking only on bank two)

I wouldnt think this would be a vacuum leak considering that the ECM is trying to lean it out, but not doing so great. (at running temp). if it was a vacuum leak i would think it would be a lean condition not rich.
any input would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Lets try GM+R