General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Smoke out of tail pipe in acceleration question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoke out of tail pipe in acceleration question

So, I've been to the track and have video of my launch and no smoke out of the tail pipes. But when I go from a dig sometimes it'll smoke and leave the whole street in smoke bu doesn't smoke in an idle and revs. I dunno what could be causing this or if it's even normal. My car does eat oil like a few others I know. If it's a head gasket, good, because I am doing a heads and cam job soon. But if it's an O-ring or something similar then ****. looks like I'll need to do the LQ9/LS6 swap I planned for this car. I'll have about 5k by next February which I believe should be enough for the build I want to do.... maybe but for now. Should I relax and play it soft til then or is this normal

Sorry for the wall, Someone on the road pissed me off and I dusted him.... literally. UGH. Youth. UGH
Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

what color is the smoke it will be either black(running rich), blue(burning oil), or white(burning coolant). also what mods do you have? do you have cats? what about a custom or mail order tune?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine does this but you can only notice it on the highway with headlights behind you at WOT. Friends said it smelled like fuel and was black so I know it's running rich. Best thing is to have someone that can tell the difference between color and smell of oil/fuel drive behind while you go WOT.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's lots of smoke while WOT and seems thick smoke like blueish then you rings or valve seals are done. Is it missfiring?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I would do a leakdown and a compression check and also check your pcv valve for proper operation.