General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant "filter"? (Don't use Blue Devil)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I only have the metal lines on the front, coming from each head, merging into a "T" fitting, then it goes into a rubber hose that runs over and connects to the radiator fill neck. I have no lines on the rear of the heads.

I meant to blow out the metal lines and replace that one rubber hose in the front.

I get Formula 88 at Home Depot in the gallon jug. Its a black jub with white lettering. I use it for everything......from degreasing my car parts and engine to spraying it on my clothes when I get grease and grime all over them by accident. The stuff is amazing. I mix it 50/50 for everything....except when I do a flush, then I pour a half gallon in there full strength.

But any degreaser should do. Just make sure its 100% safe on metals, plastics and rubbers. Formula 88 is, and its stronger than all the rest by far. Way better than Purple Power and Simple Green, no comparison. F-88 is also great for washing your hands with after working on the car.

It takes allot of flushing to get all the degreaser out, so be patient. It foams up a little bit, you'll know its all out when you have no more foaming.

My car is a '95, so it's an LT1 with reverse flow cooling system. Did you realize this?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok its been a few weeks, its been cold enough that I have been able to drive the car without it overheating (still running hotter than normal tho)

Got a break from school and I plan on draining some coolant out and throwing in some degreaser to see if that will get the remainder of this crap out of there.

How does this sound for a plan:
-Drain some coolant from the petcock
-Put petcock back in
-Top off radiator with degreaser (about 1/4 to 1/2 jug-same amount as coolant drained)
-Drive car 5-10 minutes, let warm up to operating temp
-flush system with garden hose

What would be the best place to drain the system from? Im assuming the petcock will be too small to let out any big chunks. Should I pull a hose or what?
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Ok its been a few weeks, its been cold enough that I have been able to drive the car without it overheating (still running hotter than normal tho)

Got a break from school and I plan on draining some coolant out and throwing in some degreaser to see if that will get the remainder of this crap out of there.

How does this sound for a plan:
-Drain some coolant from the petcock
-Put petcock back in
-Top off radiator with degreaser (about 1/4 to 1/2 jug-same amount as coolant drained)
-Drive car 5-10 minutes, let warm up to operating temp
-flush system with garden hose

What would be the best place to drain the system from? Im assuming the petcock will be too small to let out any big chunks. Should I pull a hose or what?
NO.....DO NOT drive it with degreaser in it and do not rev it. Take the t-stat out and put the housing back on. Empty the entire radiator, put the petcock back on. Pour a half gallon of degreaser in there and then top off with water.

Leave the radiator cap OFF. Start it up and let it idle for about 5 minutes...it will immediately start to flow because the t-stat is out. Shut it off and walk away for a few hours, let it soak in there. Then....pull the upper radiator hose off of the radiator ((or whichever radiator hose is the one that fills the radiator on the LT1))....stick a hose on high on the radiator and start it up and let it flush that way. Just keep the water going into the radiator so the pick-up hose keeps fresh water going into the engine/heads. Any crap will easily fall out of that radiator hose. DO THAT till you see clear, clean water coming out...no degreaser or foam.

Then keep filling and draining the radiator till there's no more foaming from the degreaser, just clean water.

All done.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good. I'll try and get that all done this weekend. If I turn the heat on high the degreaser should flow through the heater core too, correct? Just trying to make sure this crap isnt hiding anywhere.

When you say
stick a hose on high on the radiator and start it up and let it flush that way.
Do you mean put the hose into the radiator fill cap?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

Sounds good. I'll try and get that all done this weekend. If I turn the heat on high the degreaser should flow through the heater core too, correct? Just trying to make sure this crap isnt hiding anywhere.

When you say

Do you mean put the hose into the radiator fill cap?
Yes...turn the heat on.

And yes.....keep the radiator full or close to full with a hose IN the radiator fill neck. Cap is off for this entire process.

You can even pour 1 gallon of degreaser in there if you want to...can't hurt anything. Just make sure whatever degreaser you use doesn't hurt rubber or plastic.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes...turn the heat on.

And yes.....keep the radiator full or close to full with a hose IN the radiator fill neck. Cap is off for this entire process.

You can even pour 1 gallon of degreaser in there if you want to...can't hurt anything. Just make sure whatever degreaser you use doesn't hurt rubber or plastic.

So pretty much anything that comes in a plastic jug? Lol. What kind of container does that formula88 stuff come in? Im assuming it's safe on rubber and plastic if thats what youve used in the past? Havent had time to look for it yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

So pretty much anything that comes in a plastic jug? Lol. What kind of container does that formula88 stuff come in? Im assuming it's safe on rubber and plastic if thats what youve used in the past? Havent had time to look for it yet.
lol...certain acids that can literally 100% dissolve a human body in 2 hours comes in plastic.......so thats not a give away that its safe.

Formula 88 does come in a plastic...an all Black jug with white lettering. I've used it for about 4 flushes, its perfect.

Just read whatever it is you plan to buy, make sure its safe.

Quick Reply: Coolant "filter"? (Don't use Blue Devil)