General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My DD took a dump on me! Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DD took a dump on me! Help

I have a DD 98 S10 truck. It is a manual 4cyl. with 135k miles on it. Yesterday I was heading home and it stopped accelerating sputtered alot and then just died. It did not overheat oil pressure is good alternator is fine and so is the battery. The fuel gauge showed I had gas in it but my girlfriend brought my gas can and I poured about 2 gallons in it. It immediately fired back up and I drove maybe a mile to a gas station. I filled it up and less than a mile later it did the same thing as before. I got it pulled to a nearby friends house and we checked the fuses and relays and they all appeared to be good. If I put the key into the ignition and put it to ACC I do not hear the fuel pump priming the engine. I am guessing that this will be my issue but do you guys have any ideas as what else it may be or any "tests" to narrow it down to being the fuel pump or not. I apologize for the long post and appreciate any insight you guys might have. Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

If you could hear the fuel pump before any issue and now don't, that'd be my guess as well. Seems like you have all the bases covered I can think of. Some ways to test the fuel pump that I know of are:

To perform a fuel pump pressure test, you will need a pressure gauge and a service manual for your specific vehicle in order to do this. Every vehicle is different and has different pressure requirements and testing places. If your vehicle does not have good fuel pressure, it will experience problems. A lack of pressure can mean a non-working fuel pump.

Next, perform a fuel volume test to measure the amount of fuel your pump is delivering to your vehicle. A fuel volume test can be done by inserting a fuel flow gauge into the vehicle's fuel supply lines.

Also, Even if the fuel pump does not seem to be working, the fuel pump is electric and can be affected by wiring problems. Hopefully some of this is helpful, post back up with any other findings and we can go from there.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I am fairly mechanically inclined and am a shade tree wrencher on my own and friends vehicles. I am by no means an expert though. Before I had zero issues I could hear the pump whining to prime up and even while it runs I could hear it. Now I hear nothing from the pump. I will not be able to dig into the matter until next weekend. My guess is just that the pump is just going out.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait so you put it on ACC or RUN? I'm not sure but I don't think your fuel pump will turn on when in the ACC position
Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I turned the key all the way but did not crank it.

Tonight I got to my truck and I turned the key and voila the pump primed up. I had my friend follow me while I tried to make it home. It ran perfectly till the engine heated up and then all of a sudden I felt it idle down and it just died. I immediately turned the key and I didn't hear the pump anymore. My guess is my pump is locking up or something when it gets warm but if it's stark cold its fine. Either way it looks like I'm replacing it.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

i took a dump on my dd got to part her out. and go from there,. good luck boss